GPS Handheld...what's a decent one to buy? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default GPS Handheld...what's a decent one to buy?

Yup, thinking about more junk to buy for fishing. Planning to drop a little on a handheld GPS to help with finding spots and remembering spots--no more of the, "I was fishing by the last tree between the two big rocks."

I'm checking Cabelas because they have a good selection. Looking for something in the range of $100-$200.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...entId=cat20166

Anything bigger than what I have caught!

da_teacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: GPS Handheld...what's a decent one to buy?

I can't help with a specific model, but I do have a bit of advice...get something with a built-in map. My first GPS did not have a map and while it was great at recording locations, finding previously-marked waypoints is a lot easier if you have some reference to where it is on a map. My current sonar/GPS does that, and I can check the map to see if I've got any hot spots on a nearby point, or perhaps along a shoreline I'm approaching. Without a map, you don't get that ready frame of reference.
FishDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Don In Denver

I've been using the Lowranced iFinder H2O for several years and have been very happy with it. The basic unit is at Cabelas for $169.00. http://tinyurl.com/yoon6t
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDr
I can't help with a specific model, but I do have a bit of advice...get something with a built-in map. My first GPS did not have a map and while it was great at recording locations, finding previously-marked waypoints is a lot easier if you have some reference to where it is on a map. My current sonar/GPS does that, and I can check the map to see if I've got any hot spots on a nearby point, or perhaps along a shoreline I'm approaching. Without a map, you don't get that ready frame of reference.
good point!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

I my like Garman. I've put thousands of miles on it

I bought my Garmin in 2001 (GPS II) to take out to the National training center in CA. I bought the 12v adapter and plugged it into my personnel carrier and rode around the desert for 30 days. Most of the time I had 12 satelites but never less than 9. I've taken that thing on many deployments both mounted and dismounted throughout the States and the Middle East. almost 7 years later it's still going strong. Ive used it in 130 degree weather and freezing cold weather. It also worked well in slightly overcast weather.

The only time I had a problem with a signal was near Kremmling on a hunting trip and that was due to thick timber and heavy snow.

It doesnt have a lot of bells and whistles like other newer model but it does have just about every feature you'd need.

I never expected it to last me this long but when I needed it it has always performed. I prefer it the gov't issue plugger.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've got a Garmin Vista hand-held, which works well but no built in maps (and it's a pain to import them) and I can't stand the small size on the boat. I use it for hunting, so I'll keep it but I'm currently shopping for a new sonar/gps unit that will show details on a larger screen. Depending on your application - that may be food for thought.
GrnMtn Eye Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

A built in map sounds like a must--screen size doesn't really matter, I'm young and have good eyes! LOL I just want to pin point exact locations from now on and take out the guessing especially when the environment of the lake changes (structure points, water receding, somebody chopping down the tree, the park bench being moved).

Old 01-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Keep checking craigs list. Saturday I bought a Lowrance H2O C with the map series and an SD card and a mount and lighter plug in for $150.00
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Not young, but not old and my eyes are good

On foot the handheld is fine, but coming off a big lake in the dark with only that stinks - long story, but trust me on this one

Most CO lakes are so small this is not an issue, but if you fish bigger water be forewarned.
GrnMtn Eye Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you wait long enough, hopefully by the end of this weekend, there should be a gps on the pay it forward thread. It won't have the maps, but marks points and does all the rest just fine...plus it would be free (well sort of I guess, you just need to post something else for someone else).

update: the gps I was going to put up there is not worth it. I can't even get it to pickup satellites. It is like from 1989 or something...sorry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in