E-tec vs. Mercury vs. Yamaha Motor Preference? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default E-tec vs. Mercury vs. Yamaha Motor Preference?

So what expereinces have you all had with your motors? Good, bad ugly etc.
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: E-tec vs. Mercury vs. Yamaha Motor Preference?

I don't have any experience with these things...and I am not saying I beleive everythign I see on T.V. BUT on the E-Tec web site (http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/) they have some sweet challenge videos. On one of them an they connect a boat with an e-tech to a boat with a Mercury and the E-Tec sinks it. Again...I am not saying I believe all this stuff but the video is sweet anyway.
bferg_80002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
laker taker

Bombardier has THE BEST customer service.
Not only with outboards, but also with thier 4 wheelers (atv's), etc...

My Evinrude 4 stroke is actually a Suzuki powerhead. I bought my boat, 1 year old, as a dealer trade in. Warantees do not extend to second owner.
End of my first season, I had a powerhead failure. No oil pressure and an internal knock. I was looking at a $6000 rebuild. Castlerock Marine (where I purchased my boat) basically said give us 6 grand, we'll rebuild it when we get around to it.
I took it upon myself to call Evinrude. In 15 minutes, they called me back as said they would put a brand NEW powerhead (not a rebuild) on my boat. I took my boat to Best Marine, and had the motor put on. Not a dime out of my pocket.
It turns out, it was a minor design flaw on the early run of motors in that horsepower range. They had an entirely new redesign to fix the problem.
One could say that it should have never took a dump to begin with, but it can happen to any motor. What makes a good manufacterer,, is a company that stands behind their products, regardless of the cost.

Not only did I get a new motor, they also sent me a hat and 2 shirts.

I will be an Evinrude customer for life after what they have done for me.
EVINRUDE RULES!!!!!!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

WOW! Thats an awesome endorsement. What little research I have found on the E-tec in terms of comparison to other engines has been pretty limited but there have been rave reviews of the E-Tec. I just dont know that much about boat motors to make an educated decision.

Thats why I ask you guys.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
laker taker

One of my best friends has been gearing up to buy a salt water boat to keep on the East Coast,,,

he has done a lot of lookin and talking and research. Motor reliability is of UTMOST importance on a blue water boat,,, it can be a life and death issue really.

The Etecs are absolutely tops, but come with the price tag. Yamaha seem to be a top choice also for not as much cash. Merc's have their fan's, but Yamaha and E-tec I think are clearly the top motors today as far as popularity.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I actually adjusted my critera for a boat so I can get a shot at one with an E-tec. They came out in '05 so Im a bit limited on selection in my price range.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

My last boat had a Yamaha on it. I never had a problem of any kind, never. It started every time I turned the key. I can honestly say it was the best boat motor I ever owned. I'v e had Johnsons, Mercurys Yu name it. But the Yamaha was the best. When its time for the new boat, I hope it has one on it. But I've been watching the ads etc, looks like Yamaha has some pretty good competition out there. Did you watch the Spanish Fly last Saturday morning? A 39' open console with 4 huge 350's on it. The outboards are getting bigger all the time. I've seen 3 engines before, but this baby had 4. Awesome.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
laker taker

My bud who is buying the blue water boat is an airline pilot (good ole Laker Taker flies free on buddy passes!!),,, I'm trying to talk him into a 37' center console open bow with quad e-tecs.

Only $270,000. don't forget $500 in gasoline just to start her up in the morning!

I don't think I'm going to be hitting Nagshead in that badboy!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Just Ed

Here you go Tim!

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/559674089.html

(been looking a lot - I don't want a center console).
Old 02-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Tim - I only have 1 season so far on my Verado and can't speak yet to reliability (although I've never been let down), but I did my best to research the topic extensively before buying. IMO the E-tecs are the only engines that can rival the Verados for performance and low emissions.

As to performance: I had the chance to go hammer down last year against an E-tec 150, the boats weren't identical but same length and I smoked him. I've also run it against a yamaha 150 2 stroke that is on a smaller boat and left him in my wake, so for performance I think it's hard to top verado. The down side is that the verados are also very pricey - I think MSRP for my 150 is ~$12500.

My brother in-law runs the yamaha 2 stroke and loved it in comparison to the 2 stroke merc's until the entire bottom end went out a year ago :P

Personally, I love how quiet the verado is compared to 2 strokes, even the e-tec and it's extremely fuel efficient. Go to Florida and almost all the new boats run e-tecs or verados! From my research, I felt that the yamaha 4's are also good engines and decided that I had to have one of those 3 - very happy with the verado so far. Good luck with your shopping
GrnMtn Eye Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in