Lakers get the bends - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lakers get the bends

I know this question was addressed some years back, but I don't remember it ever being settled and I can't find the old link- what are the chances a laker raised from serious depth that has gotten a grossly swollen swim bladder will survive if released? Will the swelling go down so they can eventually get back down? I also had a weird idea- would it make any sense to do a little 'surgery' by popping their bladder with a needle? My thought is that they could get back down to the bottom and probably get by while the perforation healed and their bladder filled back up with air under the same processes that put air in a fish's bladder under normal circumstances. I want to know whether I can release these fish, confident they will survive, or if I should keep them. I'm also wondering if there's any way to prevent the swelling in the first place- I tried raising them more slowly (which is tough to do without losing them) and it didn't seem to make any difference. Some fish just swell up, others don't.
fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Lakers get the bends

i am not a laker release expert. but i would be worried about releasing a laker that was unable to swim down. these fish you have had problems with, did the blader distend out the mouth? my experience with swimblader issues is from salt water fishing. they used to recomend puncturing the distended blader with a hook and pokeing it back down. i have done this with tons of rock fish and had them swim back down. dont know if they survived but that was the recomended procedure at the time out there. i have also seen info on how to deflate a black sea bass with a needle so that it may swim back down. i have never needed to do that but the charter boats off san diego did that all the time and rutinely caught the same fish on several occasions.
yet i have read that in yellowstone they have a mandatory kill law on lakers and the way they say you have to kill them is by puncturing the swimblader. i cant seem to find that link right now though.

so i would be carefull with the lakers. i am sure we will get several responses fro the dedicated laker guys on better ways to safely release them

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

I thought lakers burped air on the way up so it wasnt a problem for them...
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
I thought lakers burped air on the way up so it wasnt a problem for them...
me too...
Old 02-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

I don't know this for a fact but unlike 'most'(Not all) lakers do have the ability to release their swim bladder. I'm sure there are the times when a laker will come up with air still in him/her. I'd have to say 9/10 of the ones I catch always are deflated or burping.

Nothing like the smell of a Koke burp in the morning., Not to be confused with a coke bugger.

I have also read that a good key to having a big laker on the end of your line is the amount of bubbles that come up long before the fish does. My biggest to date; while not being a monster in laker terms boiled the water with all the bubbles it let loose minutes before I even got it close to the boat.
[me=JAY] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here's a question I want to ask...

I caught a couple lakers this year, and every time I brought one in...... it would make an erratic noise from it's mouth. kind of like a pop-burp. is this the "burp" everyone talks about?

And I have always been weary of catching fish from great depths, I pretty much think you are gonna hurt the fish no matter what you do if you drag them outta 90-100 feet deep so i consider them a lost cause unless you know how to release them properly... but that's my OPINION before the laker gods here come into the thread and bash people.
LAKESTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

yes, the lakers pretty much always seem to burp, but this never seems to make any difference regarding the swelling. I've also noticed a lot of other species of fish make burping sounds when caught, and I always had the feeling they did this to try to spit up that thing caught in their throat (the hook).

The lakers I have been catching were from about 150 feet.

I tried releasing one of those swollen ones yesterday, and saw it swim back past the hole about 30 minutes later (still unable to get back down). I would think if the fish could really burp that air out, it would have by then. Also, burping per se would have to be done from the stomach- I don't know how the bladder might be connected in with that... Biologists?
fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKESTER
I caught a couple lakers this year, and every time I brought one in...... it would make an erratic noise from it's mouth. kind of like a pop-burp. is this the "burp" everyone talks about?
CG, That is correct. The noise you hear is the excess air the fish is releasing from its swim bladder. As stated before, there is no problem bringing a laker up from 100' 200' or in the case of lake Tahoe and other deep ass lakes 300'. Just as long as you dont horse the fish up on beefed up tackle. Im not saying to over play the fish but if you know the fish is being brought up from deep water keep in mind it does need time to burp.
IMO
[me=JAY] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

That burp is a nice clue that he/she has adjusted its swim bladder. Sometimes (so I have heard--ive only caught two) they dont release all their air right away and you have to hold them in the water until they do release it. You can use a hyperdermic needle to release the air (they actually do the same thing to cattle when they get full of gas) but I dont think its recommended.

Its important to understand that what is happening to fish brought up from deep water is NOT the same as "The Bends."

Rapid decompression causes inert gases, generally nitrogen, which are normally dissolved in body fluids and tissues, to come out of physical solution (i.e., outgas) and form gas bubbles--the bends.

In a normal lake, there are generally low levels of dissolved inert gasses as opposed to oxygen so fish take in through their gills a very low level of nitrogen making "The Bends" are rare occurence.

Most of the damage a fish suffers when being dragged up from the depths is from the expanding air bladder pushing on the other internal organs.

Thats not to say that fish CANT get the bends because they can--if the circumstances are right. Water coming out of a dam or a waterfall gets highly saturated with oxygen AND nitrogen. So if you pull up a fish from an area like this in deep water, the chances of the fish getting the bends increases.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Looks like a good question to ask the D.O.W.
oneeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in