Why Walleye? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why Walleye?

Why do you fish for walleye?

It can't be because of the fight. I'm sure we can all agree they don't really fight to well. I got a 10.5lbs that fought for about 30sec and threw in the towel. My brother got a 6.5lbs and wasn't 100% sure he had a fish till he got it to the boat.

Is it for the eats? I have yet to keep one and eat it so I can only believe they are the bomb.

Is it the challenge? It almost seems like a science pattering them. Thats why I do it; for the challenge.
input?
[me=JAY] [/me]

NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Why Walleye?

In most bodies of water, quality sized fish can be hard to catch so I would say my answer is:

1) Great Eating
2) Challenge of the Catch
Old 02-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Best tasting fish in Colorado. Although, I don't get the chance to eat very many I do like how there are so many ways to fish for them.

The fight sucks but it is challenging since they always have mood swings. Sometimes they will smack your lure and other times they will hit you so lite that you would think you are snagged on a weed. They could be biting and a few hours later not biting.

michael in parker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

TASTY! They seem to taste even better after the effort put in to catch them.
OURAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

they are one of the best tasting fish...
milehighfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

The eatin' is very good and a key for me, but I honestly also like slimers - I like eating fish period.

For me it's also primarily about the challenge. I'm a CO native (44 years now) and have always fished for trout, so I don't find them to be nearly as challenging. Maybe if I grew up in S Dakota on a boat I'd feel differently, but it's a reality for me that I have a lot to learn about walleye. Which is another great thing - I do consider myself a serious student and I love that there is always new tackle, equipment and new approaches to fishing for walleyes to learn about and try. When I first learned to fly fish and tie I had similar feelings, but I literally can lose myself for days in the pursuit or planned pursuit of walleye. Last but not least, I love the fact that fishin' for eyes in the boat is so family friendly - what better way to introduce little ones to the great outdoors.
GrnMtn Eye Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've only caught four over ten pounds in over twenty years of fishing for them in Colorado because they are so tasty and everyone keeps eating my fish. I wish they tasted like Lakers...Then more people might let them go.

I like the challenge of chasing big eyes and the subtleness of the bite. I rarely troll for them, sometimes after dark, but even then, I'd prefer to cast. I also love jigging.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

they are the best eating fish in colo. and the hardest to catch consistantly
Old 02-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Don In Denver

In the past I've fished for them primarily because I think walleye and crappie are the best eating fish that swim in fresh water. But I was only successful consistently during the times of easy pickin's from May through July.

So, now I'd like to take up the challenge of catching (yes, and releasing) bigger eyes with some consistency, and during the tougher months of the year. It won't replace lake trout, but it would be a new challenge. It remains to be seen whether I can really force myself give up time chasing lakers, though.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok, so my thoughts were correct. Its not for the fight. I do plan on eating a few this year. But as of now I fish for them cause they are hard to pattern.(for me)
[me=JAY] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in