"Shaky Head" Rigging - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default "Shaky Head" Rigging

After a short exchange with K0diak on "Shaky Head" fishing in another thread,

https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...?topic=26568.0

I read the info on the two links he gave, I felt I understood the principles well enough to go to shopping for the necessary components.

I needed two things. First, some ball head jigs with the hook eye sticking out at a 60 angle instead of the usual 90 angle. These are sold specifically for shaky head rigging. I found some, packaged by Bagley, in 1/8 oz. up to 1/4 oz. weights. I got the 1/8 oz. ones, and, to tell the truth, would rather have had 1/16 oz. but I guess they don't make those. After all, how much weight would it take to hold a plastic worm's head to the bottom?

The second thing I wanted was some floating plastic worms in 5 to 6 inch size. I was surprised to find that many packages of worms on the rack don't say whether they are floating or sinking! You would think they would at least mention that important fact. The whole idea behind the shaky rig is that the worm should stand up in the water, tail up and head down, looking like some kind of worm or water critter that is feeding off the bottom. The jig head takes care of holding the head down, of course, but I wanted the tail to float up. I knew enough to avoid Senkos and their kind, because they are made to sink.

I ended up buying three packages of worms, figuring what the heck, I'll use them anyway for something. I bought worms having "Shaky" somewhere in the name hoping they would float.

1. Roboworm 5" "Shakin' Zipper" (7 per bag, $3.29).

2. Chompers 6" "Garlic & Salt Shaky Worm" (20 per bag, $2.49)

3. Berkley Gulp! 5" "Shaky Worm" (8 per bag, $5.29, and boy do they stink!)

On arriving home, I rigged one of each kind of worm on a jig head and dropped them into a bucket of water to see what they did. The results were a little disappointing.

1. Roboworm - did not float up. It laid down flat on the bottom of the bucket and let the jig head fall over sideways.

2. Chompers - worked! The tail floated up high and waved gently, keeping the jig upright.

3. Berkley - did not float. Like the Roboworm, it just fell over and laid on the bottom.

So the outcome was, the cheapest worms worked the best for my shaky rig. The Bagley jig heads were fine, no issues with them.

I had already found shaky rig components on the Cabelas web site and could have ordered them, but with my usual level of enthusiasm for something new, I wanted to check them out right now.

If anyone would like to chime in with comments on their experiences with shaky rig components, I would like to read them, because I am a novice at this technique. Well, newer than that, actually.

Thanks to K0diak for mentioning this technique and providing the links.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: "Shaky Head" Rigging

That sounds pretty cool. I might have to give that a try also.
walleyenator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
I got the 1/8 oz. ones, and, to tell the truth, would rather have had 1/16 oz. but I guess they don't make those. After all, how much weight would it take to hold a plastic worm's head to the bottom?
W.E.

I visited with k0diak today about the jig heads and they carry some 1/16 oz. at Gander Mountain (k0diak will have to tell you the brand) with the eye at 60 degrees. I too can't see using much more than that although he showed me a number of weights that were probably closer to the 1 oz. Big ole chunks!

Good to visit with him but now I'm even more ready for some bass fishin! Thanks k0diak.

TxT
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

After reading this. Now im really jonesing. I love ice. but to hit a bucket. Oh baby. Something different.
CBmtnmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

You can also get the Giggyhead brand at BPS. They make 1/16 oz as well. I don't always use a floating worm, you don't have to. I hardly ever let it sit in one place long enough for the worm to sink to the bottom. I will lift if off a foot let it sink and give it a few quick shakes and then lift again. The zoom finesse worms work great and are not that expensive. One hint, always use a weight heavy enough to have a good feel of what your bait is doing. The 1/16oz is great if it is dead calm, and how often is it dead calm around here? If there is a breeze you may need that 3/16 or 1/4 oz to feel your bait. Most of the time while fishing this way you will lift the rod and it will be heavy, like you are snagged. They will hit it 90% of the time as you let it sink back to the bottom. I have been fishing type of presentation for 4 years and when the fishing gets tough, or you are on a well pressured lake, this is a go to bait.

Have patience with it, once you perfect it you will love it!

Matt
Old 02-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

W.E. Thansk for the info! I am pretty excited to Shaky Head this summer too. It seems like every single T.V. show has guys shaky heading now.

You don't need a worm that floats for the shaky head to work. BUT if you WANT a floating worm look for something without salt. Impregnated salt is what makes most plastics sink....Chompers and some Maniac Customs are saltless and will float. Also, Bass Pro has a floating worm...
bferg_80002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Great thread. Thanks for the help, guys.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

what is difference between shaky head and finesse jigs?
lostlure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostlure
what is difference between shaky head and finesse jigs?

A shakey head is just a plastic worm rigged on a jig head but you can also fish a shakey head on a craw or kreature bait as well.The jig heads for the shaky usually have a little longer shank on them and some of the jigs heads have a flat spot on them to help stand up the plastic.If you go to tacklewarehouse.com you can see the different styles of shaky head jig heads.

A finesse jig is just a light weight skirted jig like a 1/8,3/16,1/4.
grolsch man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferg_80002
....Chompers and some Maniac Customs are saltless and will float.
Not to start the Motto craze, but DBMs unsalted/unscented are a good candiate for this application. They are very bouyant and only sink with help. I imagine they would look very good on a shaky head with the tail standing tall!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in