Electric steer vs. Cable drive trolling motors - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Electric steer vs. Cable drive trolling motors

In a for sale post, an electric steer minn kota is being sold. One of the replies is "wish it was a cable steer". I have only had cable steer motors, each time I have bought a new boat it was pre-rigged this way, I have fished out of boats with electric steer. Personally I dislike the cable steer because of the torque steer that occurs at higher thrust settings, and not being able to take your foot off of the control without the motor turning. I plan on an elec steer next time around, is there a downside to electric steer I am not aware about? What are your likes/dislikes?
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Electric steer vs. Cable drive trolling motors

I agree with you on the fact that when its on high it is really hard to control. Ive had both. Last year was the first year I had my cable steer and aside from what I mentioned above I love it. My boat control is much improved especially in rough weather.
[me=JAY] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

From my limited experience with both of them the electric steering one is better for "trolling" (like cranks/bouncers ect.) As you said you don't have to have your foot on it all the time. And the cable is better for "holding" the boat in one spot (like vertical jigging or casting cranks/spinners ect.). You can turn the cable one much faster which I think helps in windy or rough water. I hope this helps.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I personally like electric steer, I've got the same kind he is selling but smaller pound. I like electric over cable just from the fact I don't have to sit in the front of the boat the entire time and it doesn't move around like my motor guide cable drive did. In wind it will move around but on a calm day its stays straight with my foot off. Just my 2 cents
ogerswalleye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have the minnkota power drive 55 . electric steer with 18' cable to reach to the back of the boat and the wireless co pilot. totally love it . if your steering with the co pilot and catching a fish . someone else can take over on the foot pedal and steer also . So 2 steering controls, can't go wrong !
craigknws2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've also got the electric steering - it's similar to the unit for sale, mine has autopilot and co-pilot (not sure on that one) and I absolutely love it! Can't imagine fishing without it since I'm all too often helping my kids or wife out with their rigs and/or fish and usually can't just sit up front and drive while fishing. That is a great deal for that motor IMO.
GrnMtn Eye Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Don In Denver

This came up a while back. Here are my thoughts. You can find the whole thread at https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...topic=26163.15

"I've had both, and I've liked both but for different applications.

Back when I did more shallow water bass and walleye fishing, moving parallel to an irregular (usually rocky) shoeline I preferred the cable drive. It turned faster than the PowerDrive and so you could run into very shallow watedr to retrieve a snasgged lure, switch the motor 180 degrees and move the power to high all in a second to change your direction and avoid a rock, etc. It was very nimble. However, if you left the motor on and took yolur foot off the pedal, the motor head tended to turn, ever more sharply and the boat would not maintain a heading, so it had limitations fighting the wind, etc.

Now I do less close in shoreline work and more open water and I love the Minnkota PowerDrive V2 with Copilot (remote wireless steering, power on-off, and speed). Wherever you have the motor pointing when you take the foot off the pedal that's where it will stay. So it's very useful if you're trying to keep the bow into the wind while you fight a fish, or to make sure you run straight as you check a piece of structure, etc. But it does turn a lot slower than the cable drive.

So there are trade-offs. But each has its strong points."
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

you also have more speed control, i can go way slower with elect.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
laker taker

personal prefrence.

Neither one is perfect, that's why they still make both types.

Cable has instant response. I feel like the motor is an extension of myself, capable of directing it without concious thought. I have not had the problem with the motor head turning whitout my foot on the pedal (I did have to tighten the pedal tension).

99.9% of those with elctric seem to like them.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker taker
I have not had the problem with the motor head turning whitout my foot on the pedal (I did have to tighten the pedal tension).

Same here, can set it on a heading and forget it, only because the pedal tension is tight. I think I would prefer the copilot, just as it gives you more flexibility. Two of my buddies have this setup and you can slow troll from the back of the boat, which is nice, yet still sit up front and fish as well. I like my cable drive outfit I got, as I jig a lot and it fits my style. If I had it to do over, would probably go with a copilot unit though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in