What are your favorite walleye crankbaits? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What are your favorite walleye crankbaits?

During recovery from the flu last week, I played a lot of Rapala fishing on the wii, which got me to thinking that since I rarely fish using rapalas or similar, I should add a set to my tackle boxes this year and give it a try. Since there are so many sizes, styles and colors and because I don't want to spend all of my savings buying two of each, I'm wondering what everyone out there likes to fish with.

If you were going to spend a couple hundred on various cranks for walleye fishing, what would you buy?

Also, if you are willing to share, do you have preferred times of year, conditions, etc that you have had luck with for each?

Thanks in advance for your help
GrnMtn Eye Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: What are your favorite walleye crankbaits?

I like Xraps when fish are shallow in most environments in size 10 and 12, I have some jointed 14s too...they pause and suspend wonderfully and can be fished slow or fast...I have a hard time pausing for as long as I should...I am partial to clowns and Rainbow flavored...I really like the two tone ones after dark...I think eyes can hone in on it better...Neal tears them up with the purple ghost in the same models...I can catch fish on it...but not to the numbers he does...I do much better on my two colors...I think it is just a confidence thing...the weight transfer with them for casting is spectacular...a lot of people like husky jerks...but if I use an Xrap and then have to use a Husky Jerk...it is like going from Salma Hayak to Rosanne Barr...

I also love countdowns too...in size 9 and 11...shallow or deep...wonderful lures on on mud and sand flats...any place that isnt snaggy...they kill it on the drop for me when I twitch it back...again the rainbows and silvers and gold...havent tried clown...I like to embellish the rainbow ones with a red and black sharpie (xraps too)...give walleyes more of that after dark contrast that seems to be so important...

The Floaters work great in shallow rivers where you can work the pools and snags...

Lots of guys like the suspending rattling rougues too...they are just as bigoted about them as I am about Rapalas...I think again it is a confidence thing...

Well thats a start...have more but others will cover that...

Old 02-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've had luck with Rapala F9s, F11s ,DT4s,DT6s,CD9s,CD11s,SR7s,SR9s,RNR7s, Bandit 100s,200,FlatMaxx's Bomber Long A's They all seem to catch walleye and bass! Some seem to work better than others depending on the day. You just have to experiment with them and let the fish tell you what they like!
That being said if I had to pick a favorite I think I would go with the Rapala CD9 in firetiger.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

1. X-Raps
2. Shad Raps 7s and 9s
3. Jointed Shad Raps
4. Lucky Craft Pointer
5 BPS Nitro Floater

That covers the spring and early summer for me.
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

First, figure out what makes up the main forage of the lake you will be fishing. If it is shad stick to black, blue, purple, green, silver, red combos. If perch, well that is easy enough. The shad imitations are the most universal.

I am a Rapala believer, as far as price and quality they are hard to beat. Husky Jerks, Origianl Floaters, and X raps for throwing. Minnow raps, tail dancers, and Shad raps for trolling. Early in the spring you are going to be fishing shallow, and then deeper as the season moves on. You need to have an arsenal that can cover the entire water column. I often spend less time on the color of the lure and more time on the depth. I spend a lot of time fishing for pike in a lake full of perch, I have over 20 Rapalas in the exact same perch pattern, everything from deep tail dancers, minnow rap, shad raps, jointed to original floaters. My point is, don't spend a lot of money on ten different brands of the same lure, spend your money wisely on tackle that gives you the best ability to fish where the fish are.
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

I use a few different styles of Crankbaits for Walleyes depending upon the situation.

1. Minnow Baits...I use Original Floating Rapalas and Bomber Long A's when slow trolling. I want a lure that floats up when I zig zag or take corners, rather than one that digs into the rocks, mud, or weeds...I use snap weights, bottom bouncers, or a swivel with a flat sinker or an egg sinker in front of the lure when fishing them deeper than they run. I think minnow baits can be trolled at slower speeds giving them a rolling wobble.

I also love suspending Husky Jerks and Rattlin Rogues when I'm casting. I especially like them Pre-Spawn, Spawn, and at night and I'm a firm believer in the pause.

2. Rapala Shad Raps and Jointed Shad Raps. I use these when fishing water 8 to 15 feet deep. They have a tail wagging wobble as opposed to the side to side wobble of minnow baits and I can troll or crank them at higher speeds for aggresive fish.

3. Rattle Traps. I like the ability to count them down. If I can mark suspended fish, I can count them down at a foot a second and fish for the fish I see on the finder. I also like them in the weeds...They don't snag up as much as other cranks since they run nose down.

My favorite colors in clear water are shad, black/silver, black/gold and blue/silver. In stained water, I like chartreuse, fire tiger and fluorescent.

hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Great stuff so far - keep it coming please!!
GrnMtn Eye Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtn Eye Chaser
Great stuff so far - keep it coming please!!
Anything to add, Wanzek? Setthehook? Walleye 970?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
laker taker

Basics,

For walleye:
Most of the year,
Shad rap
For early spring and late fall,
Husky Jerk, Original Floating & Countdown. (suspending, floating, sinking)

The Xraps and such are great too, I just pointed out my basic "STAPLE" rapalas. IMO, the plain shad rap, husky jerk, floating and countdown, MUST BE IN MY TACKLEBOX. The xraps and jointed are the icing on the cake.

For trout,
without a doubt,
original jointed, then the original floating, countdown & huskyjerk.
Perch color 1st, rainbow trout 2nd.

A friend of mine turned me on to the Smithwick rattling rougues,,,,, PRAISE THE LORD,, I NOW BELIEVE!!!!!!!!
NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING, better for spring walleyes, IMO.
Man have I caught some big spring ladies on rougues!!!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

?
fowl_hooked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in