Aspiring Photographers-Stand up and be counted - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 07:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Aspiring Photographers-Stand up and be counted

Friends:

I am this close || to selling an article to a fishing publication. Some professional or semi-pro photographs could be a part of the deal. If you are a photography hobbyist that would like to take a shot at selling some snaps, drop me a line (all puns intended).

One word of caution. This article concerns fish mortality, and as such, some fish will be legally killed (and eaten afterwards). Those uncomfortable with killing a few fish need not apply.

If you have a serious inquiry, I will share the magazine's photography guidelines and payment schedule (it's not much. you won't get rich. this is more of a prestige play).

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Aspiring Photographers-Stand up and be counted

I'm in.

Anything bigger than what I have caught!

da_teacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Just Ed

Dan - I sell stock to fund my fishing habit - send me a PM with what you need and I'll see what I've got (also let me know if you need released images or if editorial images are good enough). I have various agents standing by (images already online ready to download)
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

i would like some info too please. have tons of fish pics...and will have lots of new ones after this weekend!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have a pdf file from the publisher that spells out photograph requirements. Rather than try to attach the pdf here, send me a personal message, and I will forward info to you via e-mail or through this PM acct.

The outline for the article is attached below. I would be looking to supplement the text with pictures. I am looking for a photog that I can collaborate with, i.e. we can go over the text together, then, if the photog thinks that a picture of a particular fish in a particular setting would illustrate the point, one or both of us could go out and capture that fish and make the shot. This is a work in progress, and as the article is not seasonal, I probably aim to do the photography and final draft somewhere in April/May. There are not many articles about fish death, and since this is a bit controversial, the publisher is on the fence. If this publisher passes, I have a list of three or four others that I plan to shop my work to.

Article Summary:
Fish mortality is unfortunately a necessary part of our sport. Despite best intentions, some fish are going to be mortally wounded by anglers. Anglers can find an upside to this tragedy by studying the fish’s body.

In this article, I will detail the warning signs that indicate when a fish is in critical condition and not likely to survive. I will explain how to quickly and painlessly kill the fish.

I will then detail some analysis any angler can perform. Specifically, I will discuss extracting the otolith (earbone) to analyze age/growth patterns. I will discuss how Ctenoid scales from certain fish can also be used to analyze age/growth patterns. Lastly, I will discuss how to perform an autopsy on stomach contents, in order to determine recent forage activity. Supplemental topics might include contributions that can be made to analysis of parasites and other fish diseases. (interview with local biologists pending to determine usefulness of this supplement.)

The Case for Killing a Fish
I. When/How to Kill
A. Legal Issues
B. Bleeding Gills
C. Deep Hooked
D. Blow to Spine Head
i. Mortality study (DOW?)
II. How to Analyze
A. Otolith (Earbone -- Age/Growth)
B. Scales (Ctenoid) (Age/Growth)
C. Stomach (Recent Forage)
D. Other
i. Parasites
Old 02-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

sounds like a cool article, give us a heads up when and where it gets published

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Just Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by senatordan
Rather than try to attach the pdf here, send me a personal message, and I will forward info to you via e-mail or through this PM acct.
PM Sent
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in