Blue lake / Brainard Lake - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Blue lake / Brainard Lake

I am suppossed to be going camping at Pawnee Campgroud pretty soon and I was wondering how the fishing is up there.* I checked out the maps and it looks like Brainard and Blue lake are the big ones up there.* So if anyone fishes there what should I use? Thanks*

Love2fish
love2fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Blue lake / Brainard Lake

Never fished at those exact lakes but thomas bouyants in gold or brown trout colors will work.If you're into bait worms,egg sacs,or even paultzes eggs will work. As for flies I dont know.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2005, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you're talking about Brainard and Blue in the Indian Peaks Wilderness area, I'd also recommend Mitchell Lake. It's on the way up to Blue Lake, and I've done well there with kastmasters and little cleos. Lots of decent brookies and some cutts in there. If you're flyfishing, a royal wulff or stimulator over a beadhead pheasant tail has worked for me. Hope this helps.
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
SD

If you're going to be up there, I would NOT recommend Brainard Lake. It's not that you can't catch fish out of there, but it's typically fished pretty heavily due to the easy access from the roads. I fish up in that general area about once a month (including last weekend). Here are my favorite spots up there:

- The stream between Long Lake and Brainard Lake. Park at the trailhead for Long lake and hike about 1/4 mile. On your left you'll see the stream through an opening in the trees. There's a large log jam that you'll see and that's where I've caught my biggest fish there -- a 12" cut. Continue further up and there's a bridge just below the outlet of the lake. Below that bridge you can catch lots of brookies on small spinners, or if you fly fish, I've had good luck with about any small beadhead nymph. They're not big, but there are quite a few.

- Mitchell Lake is another great place to fish. Park at the Mitchell Lake trailhead and hike about a mile to the lake. I've caught fish consistently near the outlet of the lake (it's the first section of the lake you see from the trail) using small spinners and spoons. If you look closely, you can see a creek channel -- indicated by a depper blue color. Keep your lure parallel to the channel for your best chances. Near the inlet to the lake I've also done well. I caught a 15" brook trout last weekend there (and several smaller ones) on a rooster tail.

- Blue Lake. If you make the hike up there, you'll most certainly catch fish on any shiny metal lure.

Have a good time, hope this advice helps. Just remember, the further from the parking lots you get, typically the better the fishing will be.
SD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2005, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've fishe all three and agree with SD about Brainard; it always seems to be a2e there.
However, I have had great luck on brookies on nymphs and streamers at the inlet to Mitchell, as well as throwing som small caddis and hopper patterns along the grassy stretches of bank. Keep it simple and go with something you have confidence in.
On Blue Lake, throw something with a hook attached in the water. Retrieve, release fish, repeat.
VolFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2005, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Good luck, every time I've been up there it is pack with all the SUV driving front rangers. If you can handle the crowds the fiching can be very fun. I always caught fish with small panther martins or if I was fly fishin most attractor patterns have worked well. Plenty of misquitos about, so try something like that.
troutdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in