Need Advice...Casting Reel... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2005, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need Advice...Casting Reel...

Ok I am tired of throwing big Musky plugs on my undersized spinning reels...any advice on a casting reel?...everytime I see someone with one they seem to be digging in them cleaning out a backlash...I know improvements have been made in the quality reels...anyone own ones they can recommend?...or heard of good ones...thanks!
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2005, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Need Advice...Casting Reel...

I have two Ambassaduer C4s. For the money they can't be beat (70 bucks). Use heavy mono and dial your reel in properly and you will get the hang of it real quick!

I also have a light baitcaster with a flipping switch for slabbing spoons.
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2005, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have owned several baitcasting reels. Shimano makes the best pay the extra money they are woth it. Quantum makes a good reel as well but I still think Shimano wins out. Properly setting the spool tension and gentley thumbing the spool are keys to no backlashes. I use both baitcasters and spinning reels. The baitcasters are nice since there is no bail to close and you can start retrieving instantly with more line control than a spinning reel.
fishdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2005, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

I like the the Ambassaduer C3 and C4 also, gotta love those brass gears screaming, they will last a long time, and you dont have to try to learn the magnetic brake, for big musky size stuff, look a reel that has the spool release on the side of the housing so you can thumb stop the spool when necessary and not accidently engage the spool
Old 08-08-2005, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

The C4s are a good reels for the $. I would stay away from the lower end Quantums though. I have fished with several and wasn't impressed. The high end Quantums (150 bucks) are very nice reels, but you could also get a kick ass Diawa or Shimano in that price range! I have also owned several Bass Pro and Cabelas baitcasters and they were both lousy products. The Bass Pro baitcaster has been useful as a slabbing and bouncer reel because it has a flipping switch, but I wouldn't cast with it!
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2005, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Abu makes a great reel for the money and will handle giant lures. Another choice would be a shimano curado. If you shop around on Ebay You can find both of these at a fair price. You should stick to a high speed if possible. I was not sure about the curado throwing heavy baits but it handled a 2oz pencil popper and a 10 lb wiper in Kansas.
McFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2005, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
fishinguitars

all i know is i wouldnt buy a plueger ive got a trion and it didnt even last a year before i had to buy parts for it ....100 dollars for a reel that didnt last a whole season....
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2005, 06:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys it looks like a few really like the Ambassaduer C4s and there are quite a few on Ebay...can I add one more question to the mix...any particular line work well with them?...I was going to get one for Pike and one for Cats...thanks again for all of your responses...
Old 08-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

pick line based on the middle of the road rod rating
6500 series for casting w/20# mono or diameter braid w/o clicker, I like the left hand crank model for all day assault casting but the 6500 can get a little heavy
5500-6500 series for cats-get the clicker/spool model, also good for dead baiting pike
Old 08-08-2005, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to earplug Send a message via Yahoo to earplug

I found a C4 4600 with a mag brake on Ebay last year. Nice reel, no problems.
I also have a C4 5500 that has been great for bank fishing with the clicker or for trolling.
For 90% of my fishing the 4600 works fine. less weight is good after a long day of casting.
The SE Bass fishermen love the Curado.
Or buy a Diawa SS Spinning reel and find a decent rod to toss the big lures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in