Anchor Help For My Pontoon - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anchor Help For My Pontoon

Assuming I can ever fill up my new pontoon I imagine I am going to need an anchor.

My question is what weight anchor do I need and what shape should it be? Also what type of anchor rope is good and hom much do I need.

It is an outcast fishcat cougar and I'm a big guy if it helps deciding the size at all.

Thanks
hatchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Anchor Help For My Pontoon

the EZ way is use a container of paper or plastic and pour some cement in with an eye bolt to tie to you dont need anything more than parachute coard for rope
Old 02-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

that can be a tough choice, anchor type can vary depending on the bottom type you will anchor on the most. i would go with some sort of mushroom anchor, basicaly just a heavy weight if your on muddy/sandy gravely bottoms. this might be the best allround choice for a tube or toon. and if your in some rocky and/or weedy stuf some sort of grapel would work good just make sure you rig it so you can pull it out backwards.

the danforth and plow type anchors wont do you any better than the same weight mushroom on a mud/sand bottom in the tube/toon. these type anchors need lots of rode so they lay flat and the tip can dig in, and you need a serious pull to get the anchor to "set". in the rocks and weeds a much lighter grapel will hold just as good as the heavyer danforths and plows. might be a good idea to have a decent mushroom anchor and a cheap grapel to cover all bases. i have used a 12# mushroom with good success on my canoe and 15ft traier boat. so it should hold you pretty good unless the wind or current is really ripping. you can make a nice grapel from some rebar. take 2 lenghths of rebar and bend them like a double hook then use a hose clamp or two to connect them so they look like a trebble hook only with four points a quad hook then tie your anchore line in so you can back it out and your good to go. if you use light enough steel for the hooks and a good stout cord for the line you can have a chance of straightening the hook if it gets really stuck

what he said, makes a good mushroom type anchor

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here's the type I'd use...A five pounder should be all you need...

http://tinyurl.com/2zzdvl
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

My 1 lb that I used with my float tube last year, and pontoon this weekend did the trick and held me in place. A little more pricy then other models, but I like it.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...005000_175-5-3

rob
Old 02-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here's another item you may want...If you were to just wrap your rope around your anchor, everytime you drop it...You have to rewind the entire length of rope.. Say seventy five feet even though you ancored in ten, Or you would have your rope coiled up next to you on the pontoon. This is a handy gadget.

http://scubagear.stores.yahoo.net/031488.html

Or make or get something like this...

http://tinyurl.com/28s76k

Old 02-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

The one Hobie has is perfect. It takes suprisingly less weight than you would think to hold you in a pontoon unless you plan on using it in rivers.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat

I'm envious of you guys that can anchor your pontoons. I have a 7 lb folding anchor that won't come close to holding my Bucks Southfork pontoon in place in the wind. I've also tried a large can filled with cement as well. I think the problem is that the pontoon has such a high profile.
john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat

I'm envious of you guys that can anchor your pontoons. I have a 7 lb folding anchor that won't come close to holding my Bucks Southfork pontoon in place in the wind. I've also tried a large can filled with cement as well. I think the problem is that the pontoon has such a high profile.
John, attach a three foot piece of that rubber coated chain to the anchor and then tie on your rope. Also remember in the wind, you need to let out a bunch more rope to keep the anchor horizontal, rather than it wanting to lift vertically. Here's an example..

http://tinyurl.com/3alexn
Old 02-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

What does adding a chain to the anchor do? Is it just more weight? If I put a chain on I don't think I'll be able to use the anchor pulley system on the pontoon.
hatchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in