Catfish disease? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 01:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Catfish disease?

So my internet reasearch has not turned anything up on what Im about to ask. 

Last summer I caught a 13 Lb channel cat out of a pond that had a growth the size of a baseball on one side under its gill plate.  It was dark and I didnt have a light so I didnt get to examine it closely. 
Today my father and I were at the same pond bassin and all of a sudden I hear a gulping sound.  I looked over and it was a BIG cat bobbing up and down suckin air on the surface. He disappeared.  I told my dad I saw him and we both thought it was unusual to see the fish acting like that, especially right now.  Well a couple minutes later he popped up again, this time only about 10 feet from me.  He was a tank, prolly in the 18-20 Lb range and this fish had the same growth as the one last summer...and it was larger than a basketball  (I kid you not).
This is two cats in the same pond with the same problem. The fish looked fairly normal and healthy considering.  I have never seen anything like this in my life.

I have caught many bass in this pond and none of them have ever shown any sign of these "growths".  If anyone on the forum can shed some light on this either through experience or find something on the net I would appreciate it.

Also knowing that this doesnt seem to be an isolated incident in this pond should I contact the county that manages it and let them know?

Old 03-02-2008, 01:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Catfish disease?

should have pulled it out and cooked it up to see if it made you sick.

i don't see any harm in calling someone about. maybe something is in the water.
lostlure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would definitely called the place that manages it. At least they can test the fish and water to determine if it is a water problem. Do you eat the fish you catch there?
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

No. But I know there are folks that keep bucket loads of bass out there.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Come on somebody has got to have a slight idea of what is happening in this particular pond. I got faith in CFF ladies and gents, somebody somewhere has got to know something
Old 03-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've cuaght pike out of Stagecoach that have had growths on them. Not as big as the ones you are describing, but the fish were probably a lot younger than those big cats too. The growth looked like a grape gum ball. It was round and purple and about the size of a large gum ball. I had never seen that before either. The only thing I could guess would be that the fish somehow was cut or punctured and grew this thing as a result of the wound healing?? Weird.
Rip Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
kurtopia

Sounds like a mystery to me.

I caught a fish on Ft. Carson years and years ago, looked kindof like a blue gill, but it wasnt, had some coloring like a sunfish, but it wasnt, had coarser scales like a crappie, but it wasnt a crappie either, and when i grabbed it take it off the hook, it was so soft i could have pinched it in half.

I have told people about this for years, and it still remains a mystery.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah I have no idea.  It(the growth) was kind of a dirty white in color and it originated under the gill plate.  The only disease I can find that has anything to do with the gills is Proliferative Gill Disease better known as hamburger gill disease but that is mostly found in juvinille fish in hatcheries and it is nothing like what I have seen on these 2 cats in question.
Could it be injury? perhaps, but 2 fish with the same injury?  It could happen right? Yeah and I will get married and live happily ever after lol

Thanks for the thought rip lip
Old 03-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

bobber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

The purple gumball one was probably an infected injury or a cyst-type infection. Especially if it was on the pike in the summer. The one on the catfish may be a fungal thing, since they grow fast in the warm waters of the summer and may form a roundish growth on or under the skin. Without having a pic, it'd be hard to tell. Could've been the same fish and its just a big tumor that keeps growing and now is affecting the fish's ability to move water through its gills.
VolFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in