Rod and Reel - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rod and Reel

Hello, everyone. I am new here (see my thread in off topic) and am just getting back into fishing (been since i was a child that i really fished). I am in need of a rod and reel so that i may begin my journies as a born again fisherman! I need some advise on what is good but not too costly.
DgtlShadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Rod and Reel

what is not to costly...under $50 or $100? ...what kind of reel/rod r u look'n 4....spin or bait?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Shakespeare Agility (better than an Ulgly Stik IMO). 6.6" light-medium wt.
Mitchel spinnig reels
Zebco microlights are good too
4-6 lb test line

Bass Pro has their own line of gear too. From what I hear its cheap and quality too.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

i don't know where you live so i will give general advice. your best bet would be go to gander mt or sportsmans whse. look at the combos that they have set up, and talk to the people at the fishing counter and git their advice. it helps to know what kind of fishing you intend to do, and where you want to go. also try to have a price range for them to work with. your question is very general and hard to recomend anything with out knowing more details
Old 04-03-2008, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

My advice is to buy the best gear you can afford the first time. You should talk to some guys at the store about what kind of fishing you plan on doing since that really determines a lot of things such as the action you need on the rod and the gear ratios you need on the reel.

My other advice is to buy stuff that has a good warranty. I know bass pro returns almost anything that is theirs. My brother broke the tip off of his White River Fly rod on Thanksgiving day...the rod was over a year old and when he took it back to Bass Pro they gave him a new one. I think Shimano also has a pretty aggressive warranty.
bferg_80002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would agree to buy the best you can afford. It makes a huge difference in sensitivity, etc.............
Old 04-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Buy a graphite rod, Bass Pro Shops GS (graphite series) $30 great rod/warranty. Then buy the best Shimano reel you can afford, even their 30-$40 reels are great and once again great warranty!
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

I found a nice Pflueger combo for $99 with a nice IM8 rod
Old 04-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

i realize i was very general, my bad. mainly casting with it. nothing fancy as most of my fishing will prolly be from a shoreline until i get a boat. for my honeymoon we are going to granby. would like to be under $100. thanks
DgtlShadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Dick's Sportinggoods had some good sales when I was there last Saturday. I would also drop by Sportsmans and talk to someone in the fishing department.

For a cheap set up I have found Quantum to be the best. I still have a $30 rod and reel combo that I bought a few years ago on a road trip. I still use it as my 2nd rod.

I also found a Pflueger with an IM6 rod for $40 that looked like a good value at Sports Authority.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in