Spratt (Mckay & 100th)...Ponds at 88th & Colorado? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2005, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Spratt (Mckay & 100th)...Ponds at 88th & Colorado?

Never have fished these lakes before and wanted to know if anyone has fished these lakes recently and could let me know what lures to use? Going there tonight.

Thanks

TH

By the way what is the name of the lakes / ponds on 88th and Colorado?

trouthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Spratt (Mckay & 100th)...Ponds at 88th & Colorado?

I think these on 88th/ CO might be something like "gravel ponds" or "gravel lakes". Never been there, but I think afishman and fishingguitars (sp?) go there a little bit. If they don't add a post, might try PMing them.
Jason in Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2005, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2005, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
tbmanivong

Went there a couple times last year. Caught only sunfishes or rock bass. Alot of crawdads in the rocks though. I didn't see anyone else catch anything the three times I was fishing there. I threw everything. Perch imitation, plastic worm, kastmaster and jigs. Nada. Also fished with power bait & fireballs. No go.

Per fishermen there, they were stocked w/ rainbows.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2005, 06:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
fishinguitars

when they first opened the gravel ponds on 88th and colorado they will plum full of big trout but people never let any go ....the biggest ive seen pulled out of there was a 25 inch rainbow ...ive seen bass and heard of walleyes and cats being pulled out ....honestly for these two lakes if your not after carp I think your best bet is for trout early or late in the season ......spratt platte is a good place for decent size bass but same story last year when they first opened the lake it wasnt uncommon to catch 50 bass in a day all around 15-17 with a couple bigger and smaller .....people not obeying rules and the fish getting an education on lures has made fishing harder here but 10 fish in a day or more is still possible ...early in the mornings with topwater can be a blast ...on top of the weeds with a frog or on the edges with a zara spook or buzzbait ...early in the year before the weeds I do really well with lipless crankbaits ....although I havent been there for a couple weeks Im sure the bass stand by's will produce like they always do at spratt....texas rigged worm...jig and pig ....etc.....If you want fish at spratt be there as soon as it opens around 5(whenever the lazy city worker makes it there) and hit the structure before the crowds come ....from the parking lot if you go right there is a few fallen trees that always hold bass and some rockpiles that are a good bet ......if you go left there is a little feeder creek that comes in a corner thats usually pretty good and weeds all over you can work ......I avoid the docks unless im the only one around then its ok ..if not you will have people crossing your lines and breaking the rules right infront of you ....hope that helps and wasnt to long ....eric
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2005, 12:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info...that will really help out...

I decided to stay on the south side of town (and fished waterton canyon) this evening due to the ominous clouds that looked like they were headed north.

However wife's sister lives out in Henderson and while she visits I needed a couple of lakes to fall back on so I do not have to hear all that girl talk about flying around. McCay and gravel ponds look like winners. Thanks again.

TH
Old 08-22-2005, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

as far as the gravel ponds, i saw one trout in there about 4lbs but it is the only fish i have ever seen in there and i have put my time in there and tried all baits lures everything i colud think of and have never gotten a bite i seriously think they fished it out the first year. as far as spratt i would have to defer to fishing guitars he has that lake down cold
afishman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in