3rd Annual Deployed Ft. Carson Soldiers Kid Fishing Day - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 3rd Annual Deployed Ft. Carson Soldiers Kid Fishing Day

Subject: 3rd Annual Deployed Ft. Carson Soldiers Kid Fishing Day

Colorado Springs, CO - The Colorado Walleye Association (CWA), Colorado TBF, the Colorado B.A.S.S. Federation, and Fort Carson Family Housing (FCFH) announce a fun and exciting fishing opportunity for children of deployed Ft. Carson soldiers.

With the fishing and outdoors mentor/teacher of Ft. Carson kids being deployed overseas and these kids opportunity to enjoy what Colorado has to offer in the way of fishing being temporarily delayed, the CWA in conjunction with, Colorado TBF, the Colorado B.A.S.S. Federation and FCFH have developed an exciting and educational day of fishing for these kids. On 14 June 2008, FCFH will deliver children of actively deployed Fort Carson soldiers to Pueblo Reservoir, where CWA, Colorado TBF and B.A.S.S. members will volunteer their time to take these kids for a day of fishing fun.

The kids will be bussed from Ft. Carson to Pueblo Reservoir where they will be met by volunteers from CWA, Colorado TBF and B.A.S.S. The kids will be pared up, one on one with a seasoned tournament angler (parents or other siblings are welcome to go along). Boats will be launched and the kids will be taken out for a day of quality fishing time. Each kid will also be provided with a Zebco fishing rod/reel, basic tackle and other fishing supplies of which they will be able to take home after the event. Boats will meet around 1pm at the North Marina area where the kids will be fed lunch provided by FCFH and Lil' Caesars Pizza. After lunch the kids will compete in a Casting Kids Competition held by the Pikes Peak Bassmasters.

Two of the four pillars in the CWA mission statement are "Community" and "Education" Ft. Carson is part of the CWA South Chapter "community" and the CWA will use this opportunity to educate Ft. Carson kids on how to enjoy the fishing opportunities that exist in our state. In addition, the Colorado B.A.S.S. Federation sponsors similar activities such as the Jr. Bassmasters and assists with C.A.S.T. (Catch A Special Thrill - for disadvantaged and disabled).

Mark Browning, Outreach Coordinator for GMH/Fort Carson Family Housing has started taking sign-ups for up to 60 kids who have an interest in fishing and aquatic education. Mark can be reached at (719) 576-3198 or via e-mail at [email protected].

This event has been sponsored by Aurora Gander Mountain, Walleye Central, Mack's Lure, Colorado Springs Sportsman's Warehouse, Pure Fishing, Coca-Cola, Zebco, Ranger Boats, Lil' Caesars of Pueblo, Gray Bus Line, Colorado State Parks, Colorado Division of Wildlife, Pueblo and Pueblo West American Legion, Baja Broadband and Matzuo. Additional sponsors are welcome; anything donated will go directly to the kids for them to keep.

For more information contact Dave Kooser of the Colorado Walleye Association by logging on to www.cwaonline.net and looking me up. Alternatively you can post a reply here at CF.

Dave Kooser
Colorado Walleye Association
South Chapter Director
www.cwaonline.net
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 3rd Annual Deployed Ft. Carson Soldiers Kid Fishing Day

Awesome!!!

Do any of the organzations take donations? I have a bunch of Krocodile Spoons I could donate.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

i put the date on my calender Dave you can count on mike and i being there
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHATZTF
Awesome!!!

Do any of the organzations take donations? I have a bunch of Krocodile Spoons I could donate.
Without a doubt. We will build each kid a tackle box with dontated items that will be handed to them as they pick up their rod/reel. The rod/reel and all tackle will be for the kids to use that day on the water and will be theirs to take home. You can PM me for details. Go here for a pic of last years set up, the kids are led thru the tent where they pick up their equipment. Your dontation is appreciated and if you get me a banner or other advertising material, I will add it.

http://www.cwaonline.net/community/2..._day_recap.php
Old 04-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would love to be a part of this. I have a good stable boat that will fish 2 besides me. Is there anything I need to do to qualify as an approved boat driver (other than 40 yrs. experiance)?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaBigun
I would love to be a part of this. I have a good stable boat that will fish 2 besides me. Is there anything I need to do to qualify as an approved boat driver (other than 40 yrs. experiance)?
PM me and I will let you know what I we need.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

An update for the volunteers who might not have received the e-mail. BTW - Gander is donating (again this year) small tackle boxes and basic hardware for the kids. THANKS Gander Mountain....Don.

Ft. Carson “Take a Kid Fishing Day”

14 June 2008

Volunteer Boater Instructions

Thank you for volunteering your time and fishing expertise to take a soldier’s child fishing. Our objective is to provide a fishing opportunity to a child whose parent is deployed to Iraq. Currently, there are several units deployed from Ft. Carson.

Some instructions

- When you arrive at Pueblo Reservoir, look for us at the Big Lizard pavilion just west of the boat ramp. This is the headquarters for the day and everything will occur in this area. We expect to be setup (or at least started) by 0700.

- All boaters meet us at the pavilion where we will discuss the day’s events and boat launching procedures. Please check in at the pavilion when you arrive. Look for Frank Weston, cell 719-331-1308 or Dave Kooser, cell (719) 210-0904). We will check you in and answer any questions you may have.

- We will use the pavilion area to link the boater up with the child(ren). You will pick up your bait (night crawlers) and the kid’s fishing gear at this area as well.

- At or before 0830, the children will arrive by bus from Ft. Carson. We will start to match boaters with Ft. Carson children for the morning fishing period. We will conduct this operation in the area of the pavilion. We will hand each child a fishing pole and a bag of tackle. Make sure that when you leave the area with your fisher-kid, we know who you have, we have your contact cell phone number (if you have one) and you have bait and a kid’s life vest as required. Take your fisher-kid with you to your boat. The children will have access to some bottled water at the pavilion so check to see that they have a drink with them before you depart.

- If you have questions about where to fish on Pueblo Reservoir, look for Dave Kooser or call him on his cell phone. Keep in mind these kids are not looking for tournament style fish or fishing. Finding a school of bluegill or small bass is more than adequate. If you are having difficulty finding fish, call Dave or try out the tires in the marina with a small jig and ˝ a crawler. Keep the fishing simple, small and shallow where the smaller fish are and the kids will have a blast.

- At 1300, return your fisher-kids to the pavilion for lunch and have some lunch with us.

- At or about 1400, the bass clubs will host a casting contest in the parking lot or in the area of the pavilion.

- The kids, Ft. Carson, the CWA and Colorado BASS, as well as the sponsors of this event, appreciate your volunteerism.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

BTW,

Dave does a great job with this project and my wife and I were honored to take part in it last year. See you on Saturday. And, what might help is an early Zebra Mussel boat inspection prior to meeting at the pavilion. I did this last week prior to the CWA boat inspection and I just got waved by with my card in hand when I was ready launch.
artco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

this is a great day for the kids of ft carson soldiers and is well put together by dave and frank . was great to be apart of last year and wont miss it this year. i am glad to help anyway i can dave. see everyone sat.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

For any of you that do this...You all have hearts of gold! Thanks! As a dependant of a guy that was gone 1/2 of my youth I would have killed for a day like this! Thanks from me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in