Shaky Head Fishing - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shaky Head Fishing

Ok, Here's my thoughts on shakey head fishing. Just a beginner....bigtime. Just the way things look in the water. First off, a floating worm (props to the Moto Cuztums here...talk to DBM if you're new) will work wonders on almost any shakey head. Most of the shakey heads will just roll over if you use a senko with salt or another similar kind. I picked a bunch of shakey heads off of Tackle warehouse and the strike king from Bass Pro. The strike king shakey head absolutely sucks, in my opinion. They give you a little prong to stick it on and expect it to stay on. I do not like this idea at all and the worm will consistently fall off. As for the action, well, if the worm won't stay on, does it matter? And DBM does not like the Sweet shakeys as his tourney proves they can't stay hooked. So, on to Tackle warehouse I went. I rig all of these by threading the worm onto the screw first and then inserting the hook at the exact angle it comes off so that there is no bend in the worm between the thread and the re-hooking point.

Headshaker jigheads first(3 of 5): http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...TERM-HSJH.html
The headshakers work okay with a moto cuztum or a zoom finesse worm. Rip off the pointy part of the head on the finesse worm to make it flat against the jighead. The finesse worm works well when continually moved at slow speeds. Sit still and it has a tendency to lean to one side.

Picasso shak-e-football jigheads (4 of 5): http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...ICASS-PSF.html
The picasso football works great with a cuztum and ok with small worms. It does not stand up as well as I hoped with a salted worm. It works great for grubs too to lend a slightly different presentation.

Picasso shakedown (3.5 of 5): http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...ICASS-PSD.html
I thought this would work well for small finesse presentations. Once again, if you keep it moving with a trick worm or small curly tail worm, it will work fairly well. The thread is really small and hard to thread even small profile worms onto it tho.

Owner shaky ultrahead (4.5 of 5): http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage-OSUH.html
This is the winner of the ones I bought. It has a good thread. It stands at about a 30 degree angle from horizontal. It does not rock forward like the link says it does, but they never quite work as well as they say they do. It works very well at this angle with any kind of worm, even a senko. It does the most magic with the cuztum, allowing it to sit and wiggle. Grubs work well on it too, as long as the curly tail on the grub is past the re-hooking point. My only problem on this one is the angle. I would like it to be at a 45-60 degree angle.

If I am rigging these incorrectly, someone let me know. I have not tried the giggyheads and probably will not. Additionally, there are also the spot remover and the chomper from BPS to try. Bferg loves the spot remover and before I buy any more crap, I am going to watch those in action. By the way, if anyone wants some of the picasso shakedowns or the headshakers, feel free to send me a PM and I will sell them for price I paid. I did not pay shipping, so I am not adding that to the price. You can check the price on the website. Not that newbies would buy the ones I dislike, but if someone just loves one of those two, well, PM me.

marledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Shaky Head Fishing

here's the links for the spot remover and the chompers. If anyone has a pic of them in action, would love to see it. I will try and post a pic of how these others look sometime this week or maybe add a video.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults
Old 04-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-7-xktoD6rw
This is a pretty good link. It does seem you absolutely need a floating worm for almost all presentations. The zoom shakey worm doesn't even float that well. Sorry, Zoom, I love your trick worm and finesse worm. Note, the guy says hand poured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good info Matt-
I agree, the strike kings really suck. (Darn you Shaw Grigsby- I trusted you!!)

So far, I like the Spot Remover best and the saltless custom mottos are rocking and rearranging some faces so far.

A couple of other good choices are the Heddon Giggy Stick and Giggy Lizzard. The tails are hallow and float very nicely.

I have not had any probelms with things rolling over on the spot removers. But I can tell you this: the lure still works even if it does roll over!

I can't wait to try these in some deeper water this summer.
bferg_80002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

I also agree that they work even if the worm doesnt float..........

Oh, and if you're having trouble keeping your worm on the shaky head, simply super glue the worm on there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in