Personal Pontoon Newbie - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Personal Pontoon Newbie

So I think I will take my tax rebate and invest in a new pontoon. Anyone have any advice on what to be looking for when purchasing a new pontoon (besides the obvious, pontoons, oars, etc!). I'm looking to spend between $400 and 600. Also, do they have to be registered? What about if you put a electric motor on it? I appreciate the advice!
mann6558 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Personal Pontoon Newbie

If it has a motor you have to register it, also I found the higher sit above the water the more you are affected by the wind, getting blown around.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Good to know. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have you considered a kayak? If so, pm me. I know a place that has some awesome deals on fishing kayaks.
khabibulin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got a pontoon in early march. Took it out for the first time in early April. First time out all i had was oars. I was dizzy from rowing in circles. Perhaps it takes more coordination than I possess but my opinion is that if you want to cover a lot of ground when on the water a motor is the way to go. Mine has 8' pontoons and is rated for 300lbs. I am between 210 and 215. With the motor and battery i am near the limit. My point is that at full speed on the trolling motor the water line is right at the top of the pontoon in the rear. So my suggestion is if you are at or near 200lbs i would go with 9' pontoons simply for their ability to support more weight. I would also suggest looking at the seat mechanism. A swivel seat is a must in my opinion. Right now Gander Mtn has all their toons on the floor where you can get a good look at them. I would suggest checking them out so you can see the different features. If you have any specific questions about what I have learned in the 2 months I have owned one, let me know. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bassmutha
I got a pontoon in early march. Took it out for the first time in early April. First time out all i had was oars. I was dizzy from rowing in circles. Perhaps it takes more coordination than I possess but my opinion is that if you want to cover a lot of ground when on the water a motor is the way to go. Mine has 8' pontoons and is rated for 300lbs. I am between 210 and 215. With the motor and battery i am near the limit. My point is that at full speed on the trolling motor the water line is right at the top of the pontoon in the rear. So my suggestion is if you are at or near 200lbs i would go with 9' pontoons simply for their ability to support more weight. I would also suggest looking at the seat mechanism. A swivel seat is a must in my opinion. Right now Gander Mtn has all their toons on the floor where you can get a good look at them. I would suggest checking them out so you can see the different features. If you have any specific questions about what I have learned in the 2 months I have owned one, let me know. Good luck.
that is some good advice
Old 05-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

get a fish cat 9, rowing takes a little practice but not much, finning is the way to go for hand-free fishing, you'll stil have to figure out how to stear the trolling motor while fishing. If you are woried about wind get the fishcat cougar. Have fun, i consider mine some of the best money i've ever spent-
bobwall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 12:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have owned a belly boat (death on the high seas), a FishCat and two pontoons.

Recommendations:

1) Buy a pontoon with an aluminum frame. Don't wear yourself out carrying a steel-framed pontoon to the water. Save your strength for fishing and rowing.
2) Buy a Creek Company product. This company has its corporate office in Steamboat Springs, so you have a local contact for questions, problem-solving, etc.
3) Within your budget, the Creek Company has the ODC 816 for $440. I have one and love it.
4) Make yourself a wheel attachment for transporting a loaded pontoon (maybe 50 to 60 pounds) to the water.

See attached photo of my ODC 816 with the homemade wheel attachment.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pontoon with Wheel Sm.jpg (82.9 KB, 64 views)
irish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Remember all the other stuff you have to buy:
Fish finder
Fins
Anchor
Rod holders
Roller wheels etc...

So budget on all that

http://flyfishaddiction.blogspot.com
Troutdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all the great advice! Here is the one I'm looking at. Anyone has this guy?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...005000_175-5-1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in