Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Fishing Lounge (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Looking for a new baitcaster (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30028)

bgh12g 06-12-2008 03:45 PM

Looking for a new baitcaster

I was looking for a new reel and I was really looking at the Daiwa Viento. I found a good deal but wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on it. and yes, I know what they say about opinions >:D

I see it has a little brother the megaforce for WAY cheaper but I wonder if its a "get what you pay for deal"

fishnphil 06-12-2008 03:46 PM

Re: Looking for a new baitcaster

PM Fish63 is what I would do, he has a ton of rods/reels he's selling for cheap.

k0diak 06-12-2008 03:52 PM

the viento is a much higher quality reel than its little brother the megaforce....i think denverbassman will chime in on this...he owns both.

we've had a quite a few people come into Gander and buy more vientos because the twitching bar has broke on their old ones...just saying.

i would check out that Daiwa HSTA supertuned reel....its around a bill 50 with much more smoothness and ease of operation than the viento.

Don't rule out shimano for a great reel either :)

-k0d-

bgh12g 06-12-2008 04:05 PM

very good info! this is what i needed. I will PM Fish63 as well. I was looking at a fathers day gift as well as my anniversary is on the 15th as well... win win >:D

Which shimano you like?

k0diak 06-12-2008 04:06 PM

i like the curado...citica...chronarch...calais...and the calcutta...

the core seems really cheap to me.

denverbassman 06-13-2008 12:58 AM

i like them both!
but for the money, id go with the little brother, i rigged my mega force with 40lb red power pro, and its been non-stop action, my favorite has been my two revo-s by abu garcia, there smoooth, and seem to be built better than the diawas! also look at the johnny morris elite, that thing is silky smooth!

elpasocounty 06-13-2008 01:56 AM

I recommend a Zebco 33...

bferg_80002 06-13-2008 11:39 AM

For what it is worth: I have the Diawa Tierra (new this year) and I love that reel.

But for straight toughness my Bass Pro Extreeme is a seriously good reel for $80. That is the only sub-$100 reel I will own.

BPS also has the Johnny Mo on sale this weekend for $129

rookiebasser 06-13-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bferg_80002
For what it is worth: I have the Diawa Tierra (new this year) and I love that reel.

But for straight toughness my Bass Pro Extreeme is a seriously good reel for $80. That is the only sub-$100 reel I will own.

BPS also has the Johnny Mo on sale this weekend for $129

Yeah I agree, I am very new to baitcasters and this was my first, it has been a good one to cut my teeth on.

dropshot 06-13-2008 11:58 AM

I've had 2 Johnny Morris baitcasters and they rock. The replacement warranty is in-store replacement, no questions asked.