Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Fishing Lounge (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Northerns in CO River (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30628)

Rip Lip 07-01-2008 11:49 AM

Northerns in CO River

I have heard it before, but this weekend I personally saw a 25 inch pike in a backwater near pumphouse. There may be a few in there, but doubt there are enough for them to find eachother and spawn. I'll keep looking in the same spot when we get up there and try to catch the little bastard.

kirbydog 07-01-2008 12:27 PM

Re: Northerns in CO River

If they are in there, even just a few, they will find each other to spawn. Pike are some of the toughest fish around and efforts to eradicate them almost always fail.

These guys survived in little Tarryall Cr. for several years while Tarryall Res. was dry.

edwardslocal 07-01-2008 12:54 PM

Thats crazy, wonder where it came from???

fishlip 07-01-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwardslocal
Thats crazy, wonder where it came from???

I would say either Williams Fork or Wolford, I still have not heard how they thought the pike ended up in Wolford, other than bucket assumptions. I would imagine once a pike goes downstream through Gore canyon it is not going to make it back up.

dlux 07-01-2008 04:03 PM

I have heard of hammer handles being caught in the middle park section below Parshall. Reputable source, said they were the 20 inch variety. He is a trout snob and killed them - gold metal water. Kind of sad.

Makes sense some would get out of the res and down the fork.

Neal/CO 07-02-2008 12:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If they are there? It is to late! Thats a big river!!

Zman 07-02-2008 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal/CO

Green rats with teeth...they will never get them out of there now...

longdraw 07-02-2008 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zman
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal/CO

Green rats with teeth...they will never get them out of there now...

Who do you speak of?

kirbydog 07-02-2008 07:11 AM

Geeez Z Man. I don't think pike should be in every body of water in CO either but you seem to harbor some real animosity. Never caught a big one, have you? ;D

Zman 07-02-2008 08:42 AM

Lots of them in Minny...and yes some big ones...I dont think they belong in one of the finest brown trout rivers in Colorado...we saw what they helped do to Spinney...