Deeper lakes = Bigger Fish? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Deeper lakes = Bigger Fish?

Just wondering, when trying to pick out high mountain lakes to fish, does the depth of the lake equate to the size of the fish? Been trying to pick out a backpacking/fishing destinations and wondering if I should go with the lakes that are deeper to up my chances of catching big cutties.
cswill81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Deeper lakes = Bigger Fish?

I do not think so, just look at Antero as an example, big fish grow fast there, but also winterkill so you take chances going to those places.

My favorites are lakes that have a nice shelf, then drop into an abyss.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Deeper lakes have less chance of a winter kill. On the other hand, shallow lakes can have abundant forage.
GMCO45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

As was stated, if you are looking for big fish, look for lakes that have large shallow areas. There is more light penetration, which leads to more primary productivity and bigger fish in shallower lakes. As a side note, fishing shallow around weedbeds for trout is great because that is where they go to feed, they only hold in deeper water and feed sporadically. It is the weeds where they put on the feed bag. It is important that lakes have deeper areas though for refuge during the winter months. Most high mountain lakes do not have enough primary productivity to winter kill unless they are extremely shallow (They are rarely like Antero, as far as weed growth, which is really what leads to winter kill problems). As far as big fish go, it is really a matter of food sources. For example, most every lake I know in the high mountains with large fish has either scuds or leeches. There are some great, shallow productive lakes that I know that only have midges, mayflies and caddis, and they fail to grow fish very large, probably due to the short growing season. Those insects are emergent, which causes them to be easily available to the trout during their emergence, which only lasts a short period of time in high mountain lakes. Scuds and leeches are vulnerable all year, and are more protein rich than the other bugs. So, look for fairly shallow (but not too shallow), weedy lakes, and if they have abundant food options, you should have some big ole trout.
ILikeBigBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Food forage is what grows bigger fish.
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Deeper lakes = bigger fish doesn't hold up, but high lakes less than 8-10 feet or so will often winterkill. Even that statement is a bit over-simplified though b/c trout can sometimes live in shallow lakes if there are springs or well-oxygenated areas near the inlet or outlet. There are lots of variables in terms of which high lakes have good trout. Sometimes, you have to take a chance and just go check 'em out.

D-Moe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

It depends what your fishing for if your fishing for lake trout brown trout and such a deeper lake would be better
SeA bAsS
Sea bass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's a tough one...I've caught nice fish in both deep and shallow lakes...Setting aside the deep lake question, I think a lot of other variables are more important.

As others have mentioned the availability of a consistent food source is one critical variable...the numbers of fish competing for that food source is another...Are there varying age classes showing consistent stocking patterns?...or natural reproduction...allowing for smaller fish to be available as forage for larger fish..? What are the oxygen levels and PH levels? Higher PH...usually ...larger fish...Does the lake Stratify? What are the average water temperatures.? In colder water, trout can consume less, yet grow faster...What is the surrounding terrain like? Are there a lot of terrestrials available as forage?...Terrestrials are critical at a lot of the alpine lakes...
How much pressure does the lake receive..?

Want a hint on where to find large trout in high alpine lakes? This is a secret...Please keep it to yourself and don't tell a soul...

Go to places with high numbers of hikers that walk right past lakes on the way to conquering their goal of summiting the next 13er or 14er...Fisherman don't like crowds and avoid those well traveled paths and hikers...don't usually take the time to fish...Great lakes..hidden right out in the open...

hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun
Food forage is what grows bigger fish.
Truth.

look at the illinois river below tenkiller, the san juan below navajo and many other places where the amount of forage is sickening.

We all have heard and seen Zman jumping for joy every time he finds out the the wiper are being fed via trout stockings at aurora res.
LAKESTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

when your talking bout pack in high lakes. the longer and tougher the hike, the bigger the fish (in general) find one way back in there loaded with scuds deep enough that it dont winter kill, and they will be calling you slayer Jr.

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in