Red Feather Lakes - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Red Feather Lakes

Hi all. Im going campig next weekend with the inlaws. Anyone been to Red Feathers this year?
I have never been there, what should I expect? A lot of bait dunkers? There seem to qutie a few lakes around there to fish, is one better than the other?
Calibatis and Damsels flys be ok?

Thanks.
edwardslocal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Red Feather Lakes

Man sounds like fun, wish I could help, I've never been up there. Hope you get some info and have a great time man!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks phill, ill figure it out man, just wanted a head start you know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to WaterVsAnchor Send a message via MSN to WaterVsAnchor

Red Feather has some really good fishing. There are numerous lakes up there, and also some small streams/beaver ponds.

The most popular lake is Dowdy, and its shorelines are normally filled with people in lawn chairs throwing their powerbait, so if you want to avoid that, stay away from Dowdy.

There's also Bellaire (Which I believe is the biggest?) and West Lake, which are also popular fishing areas for both lures/flies and bait fisherman.

If you're looking to fish with flies/lures, especially in a float tube, Parvin Lake is amazing. It's flies and lures only, thus giving it less pressure than the other lakes, and has some fairly large trout in it. Big browns, rainbows and also cutties and brookies are in there. They have signs for Tiger Muskie in there, but I've yet to actually see any evidence (Anyone ever caught one outta there?).

Other than that, grab a map and do some exploring. There are a lot of smaller waters up there, and many of them have fish.
WaterVsAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Red Feathers is a great place to take the family for a weekend. If your plannng on camping in one of the campgrounds I sure hope you've made reservations. I went up there in the middle of June thinking I would be able to call a couple of days in advance to reserve a spot in one of the campgrounds and found that most of them are booked pretty solid through the summer. There is however plenty of dispersed camping areas in the area. We ended up camping in one of these area just below Bellaire. No facilities, but less people and no cost.

As for fishing WaterVsAnchor was right on. We fished Bellaire and I had good success using BH Haresears and BHPT. The kids were doing ok with worms and salmon eggs. Good luck and enjoy the weekend.
xlakeishot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

i dont think we reserved a camp spot
Thanks for the info guys!!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
BUD

West Lake has a few non-reservible sights if you get there Thurs. p.m. or early Fri. Other wise there are a lot of dispersed sights just up the road from Bellaire.Dowdy & Bellaire are reservation only.I fished West & Parvin in May.West has tons of stockers.Parvin has bigger fish.I got a really nice Rainbow on a Damsel nymph.But,its tough fishing in clear water.The gatekeeper there will tell you the hot spots but doesn't have a clue about flies.i saw two 30"plus muskies taken on crankbaits.They have to be 36" to be kept.Have fun.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I camped/fished West Lake/Parvin this weekend. Had no action Friday evening with PB. Saturday AM tried Parvin from a float tube (first time) and had no luck before the wind kicked up. From the sign-in sheet, only 4 trout were caught Saturday AM, and the longest was about 11 inches. Went back to West Lake Saturday evening, and trout were hitting PB and worms hard. One snapped my 4# leader. Managed three rainbows. Both evenings guys in float tubes were striking out. Sunday AM the trout were hitting worms and PB very lightly. Managed one small brown.
amp17201 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Bellaire Boat Ramp, was Re: Red Feather Lakes

Does anyone know if Bellaire has a boat ramp or close-to-shoreline parking from which to launch a non-motorized pontoon boat? TIA. C&R only/always.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

If you use google earth or msn.com and click maps and directions and put red feather lakes, colorado in and go WSW you should be able to get in pretty close for a birds eye view of the layout...I use it to check out places I havent been before...

Sorry only have been to Bellaire in the winter...everything was covered in snow...had to walk in...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in