The Lower Blue in a Dory?? (article) - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Lower Blue in a Dory?? (article)

I have floated this stretch, there are some monsters in here. Never heard more BS horror stories in all my life around people getting shot at, etc. One time I pulled a honker cutt-bow right out in front of Tudor Jones' house while he was having a shindig for about 50 people- never said a word. I hope this clown doesn't get his hands on the take out, since it is a navigatable river and WE THE PEOPLE have the right to float it.

http://www.denverpost.com/willoughby
RipLip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: The Lower Blue in a Dory?? (article)

Well, no B.S. -- arrests for criminal trespass have been made on that stretch of river for touching bottom or touching exposed rocks with a raft while floating through. I think Jones may have mellowed a bit over the years, and I heard a government agency was going to trade land so that stretch would be public.

Technically, the water and the fish are not privately owned, but for stretches of river, both stream banks and the stream bottom, including every rock, are privately owned, and you can't float it at normal flows w/out trespassing. People can take it as seriously as they want to, but at least people should understand the law.

D-Moe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I fully understand the trespass laws in the state, even if I don't agree with them (I like Montana's high water access rules). I also think it is overblown on the Lower Blue from my experience, and no I would never float it any lower than 550cfs, and even then it might be too low depending on the craft.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Waters
I fully understand the trespass laws in the state, even if I don't agree with them (I like Montana's high water access rules). I also think it is overblown on the Lower Blue from my experience, and no I would never float it any lower than 550cfs, and even then it might be too low depending on the craft.
Yeah, I used to live in Idaho. Between the high water marks on most streams is public property.

D-Moe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2008, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

In the article, the author mentions that the 3 miles below the dam are public property. Can anyone tell me if this section is impossible to wade due to the canyon walls, or is it just a bit tricky? Is it possible during low flows?

Thanks.
royalhumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've been there looking to wade fish, tough access and tough fishing, it's a pretty tight canyon to start with, I know there's spots to pick apart, just not a ton like the Blue above Green mtn.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalhumpy
In the article, the author mentions that the 3 miles below the dam are public property. Can anyone tell me if this section is impossible to wade due to the canyon walls, or is it just a bit tricky? Is it possible during low flows?

Thanks.
Yes you can wade some of it. You must also hike around cliffs and such but at low flows it can be done. The fish in there are nowhere as large as below in the "private" water.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2008, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYERFISH
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalhumpy

Thanks.
Yes you can wade some of it. You must also hike around cliffs and such but at low flows it can be done. The fish in there are nowhere as large as below in the "private" water.
See!!!! You admitted it was private! LoL, can't resist man!

On a side note, I'm hoping to float that section once this summer, just to see what it's all about. I think I'll take my kickboat down it though, makes it a lot easier to travel without trespassing.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've never seen anybody out there in a solo pontoon, is that what you mean by kickboat? If so what kind is it?

I think you could float it solo with the right pontoon or one of the Water Master solo rafts:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...005000_175-5-1

But there are so many dang rock structures/ drops and diversion dams that I'm not sure how much fishing you could get done unless you put your feet down from time to time. As Slayer said, the fishing is better when the water is higher too. I like it above 550cfs, pesonally.

I have argued both sides of this with friends in the past and they have convinced me it's better on a 2-3 man raft.

I would like to hear some other opinions here as this is just my $.02.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Muddy, I spoke with a kayaker who has been down it in a one man pontoon, he said it was pretty tough.  A kickboat is what you posted in that link:

Here's me in mine:

I think it can handle it, the bigger question is can I?   These are rated up to class 4, not that I'm that skilled though.  It's not too hard to keep yourself in one spot in these things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in