Barbless Hooks? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2005, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Barbless Hooks?

Stopped by a favorite honey-hole (the location of which will remain nameless for now ) for a couple of hours, and nothing big was hitting, so I started throwing out a small 1/4 oz. spinnerbait on the ultralight. The bass started hitting it immediately. The trouble was, they were all 13-14 inches which I do not keep.

After about the fourth one, I took out a pair of pliers and crushed the barb down onto the shank of the hook so I would do less injury to the fish. No problem, I never lost a fish after that, just keeping tension on the line was enough to keep the fish on the hook.

All in all, I landed 17 bass, one 16" trout, and one crappie, all released.

Now I am thinking about doing this to all my lures. But I would like to hear a second opinion first.

Are there any fish that you would never fish barbless for? If so, what?

Regards, W. E.

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2005, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mustang

Default Re: Barbless Hooks?

i wouldn't do it to all your lures, then youll be kickin urself when u lose one sometime

i have never had an issue without barbs, but ive only done it at the arsenal
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2005, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
fishinguitars

I wouldnt do it to all your lures ....I was a member at lake carrol anne and I've been fishing the arsenal for a long time both are barbless ...I dont mind pinching my barbs that much but when a fish goes airborn it gets tough ....If you do lose a huge fish you will be kickin yourself .....With spinnerbaits you never really harm the fish that much anyways ....Its a nice thought but I wouldnt do it !!!Sometimes I get a little crazy at the arsenal and make a few to many lures barbless......its fine at the time but later on down the road you want those barbs ....you remeber eagle claw used to have a double barbed hook ...lol..
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2005, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Most of my lures are now barbless. I debarb lures and flies for the arasenal and RMNP. I also debarb for catching recently stocked Trout (I hate it when they have their mouths sealed shut on both ends of a lures trebal hook) and for bluegill fishing (just easier to release them).
I haven't lost many because of the lack of a barb. I've heard it the other way to. You may catch more, because the hook sets easier.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

i tend to go barbless after catching a few if im releasing a bunch it makes it easyer to release them and that in its self give them a better chance and come to think of it when i have gone barbless i dont recall haveing any problem keeping them on the hook, if the lign stays tight your gona bag em but if they start jumping a lot and can get some slack they might get off. i should probably pinch down more of my barbs

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in