Downrigger help... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Downrigger help...

I'm looking to add two downriggers to my arsenal, which is brand is most trusted here, I've heard Cannon and Big Jon. Anyone own any of these, what features should a guy look for. Is there any reason to get a Big Jon over a Cannon or vise versa. My choices are Cannon mag 10 or Big Jon Captians pak. Any imput on one model or the other, does one have a smaller footprint over another?
moombass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Downrigger help...

Cannon...
Old 08-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have cannons and love em. I use the cheaper models due to simplicity. There are some things I insist on having top of the line, but in the case of downriggers, it is just a line and ball. I want them to be easy to use and easy to get out of the way when they aint in use. Cannons cheap models do both.
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ive had Scotty's and now have Cannon. The scottys are good cause they are low profile and take up less room. If you have a boat that sits low to the water Id go Cannon. Mine sits low to the water and the boom on the scottys would hit the water in rough chop and thats why I switched
[me=Jӓӳ] [/me]

NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have cannons with manuel retrieve and love em. Get a spare ball as you can loose them if you fish much around here.
jonesboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to work2fish

I have Cannons as well. They have been very reliable and parts can usually be found in places where you might need them. Say, for example, you get a ball stuck to the bottom and have to re-rig your downrigger while on a fishing trip! Mine are hand crank with the telescoping boom, the latter being a feature which can be very nice in terms of how you mount the rigger to your boat.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have a Walker---hand crank model---and it works just fine. I haven't had any problem. What depth will you be fishing ?...if you are going to be at 30' - 40 ', ask yourself you really want to spend the extra dollars for an electric model.

The suggestion of carrying an extra ball and device to secure it to your line is a good idea.

TheUkrainian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've used Cannons, Big Jons, and Walkers and they are all solid. I have a Cannon mini-troll I run on my FishCat when I want to terrorize trout kokanee and it works great.

I think more important than the brand is deciding on the features you want. Unless you fish really deep water (> 100 ft) a lot, then I don't think there's really a need for an electric, unless you don't like the idea of winding the ball in a lot (hopefully, because you keep getting strikes). One thing that does come in handy is having a depth counter with numbers, as opposed to having to count turns on the handle. That way you can quickly glance at the fish finder, see a pod of fish at 45 feet, glance at the downrigger, see that it is running at 43 ft and know that in a few seconds your lure is going to be in the prime strike zone.

If you can afford it, go for one of the models with a longer boom, because then you can spread the downrigger lines further away from the boat, which is nice if you also like to run flat-lines, or stack lines on the downrigger.

FishDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

about a year ago I purchased 2 manual cannons, I was going through the learning curve as they were the first I had ever used. Shortly after that I took a trip to tahoe where I took a guide out for mackinaw. He had electric Scottys. After experiencing how easy it was to pull the arm, let it down, and turn a knob to lift up the ball and not worry about manuvering a fish around a cable I immediately returned the cannons for scottys and love em. The main thing I like about electric (of any kind) is if you begin to run shallow or start skipping along bottom you can very quickly hit a button on both units and get yourself out of harms way. I do have several friends that have manual cannons and they are built efficint, simple and are nearly indestructable, If I were going back to manuals I would buy cannons.
shaane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in