Where should I take Dad fishin this Sat.? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 02:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Where should I take Dad fishin this Sat.?

I haven't been fishing with my dad in probably 15 years. For the first time in that long, he is interested in going out on sat. He likes trout, but not from lower level warm water lakes, so he wants to go up into the mountains. He has a friend going with us, who has never been fishing before, so he wants to go somewhere "fun".

He was thinking grand lake, a place I have never been to, so I wouldn't know where to fish up there. I have been to georgetown lake before, and I know we can get into trout and find the fun he is looking for.

He has recently purchased a toon, which he wants to see it on the water and see how it's like fishing from it. Because there will be three of us teh toon wont be out all day, just a couple hours maybe, so he can get a feel for it.

Can we launch the toon at either lake? And if so, which lake would you recomend?

We arent looking to bag a freezer full of fish, but as I said, he does like trout from cold mountain lakes, so we may keep one or two, but most anything we catch would be released. We are looking for fun, not dinner.

Any info you can provide for me to make the most of this trip would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

-MHF
MyleHighFisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Where should I take Dad fishin this Sat.?

I think he'd like Jefferson...And you can launch a toon...
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to timper

Jefferson would be a good pick, or maybe the Catamounts up on Pike's peak.
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Jefferson is a beautiful, scenic place to fish and you can definitely score on bobos. A plus on the way out (sans toon)...hit the beaver ponds. Tarryall has been hitting well for nice orange meat bobos as well. Anywhere in the general vicinity is good.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dloring
Jefferson is a beautiful, scenic place to fish and you can definitely score on bobos. A plus on the way out (sans toon)...hit the beaver ponds. Tarryall has been hitting well for nice orange meat bobos as well. Anywhere in the general vicinity is good.
Another plus on the way out - you can stop at Hog Heaven on the way home!!!

Good things come to those who wade...
onefishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

yep, jefferson would be a great place to take them. great lake to float and there are plenty of fish and scenery.
lostlure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies.

The funny thing is, when he first asked me to go with him this weekend, I reccommended Jefferson, because of all the great things I've heard about it, and he rejected Jefferson in favor of Grand Lake. Not knowing Grand lake, I reccommended Georgetown, not as much of a drive, and pretty sure I can get him into some trout there. Just not sure if we can launch the toon there. After all the replies reccommending Jefferson, I think I've convinced him to try there. Still not too certain about where yet, but i'll post a report tommorow and let you all know. OK, maybe will have to wait till Sun. to post the report, as I don't know how tired I'll be when we get back from wherever.

Thanks again...

-MHF
Old 09-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

weather will be nice there on saturday.

http://tinyurl.com/3lxhm2
lostlure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

I got quite a few PMs, as well as all the posts saying jefferson would be the best bet, but...

Someone (sorry I can't remember who right at the moment) said that most of the shore around Jefferson is shallow for a long ways out, and that you'd need quite a bit of weight on your line to get it out far enough to get to the deeper water where teh fish are. If thats the case Jefferson isn't much option as I'll be taking someone who has never fished before and it might prove difficult to teach them how to cast far enough out, as well as the fact that I dont like to fish with that much weight on my line wehn it can be avoided.

Is there plenty of shore fishing available there where we can fish without haveing to use all that weight?

I really want to hit up Jefferson, i have never been there but I've heard good things about it, I just don't want to end up with my dad and his friend not being able to fish in water deep enough to catch some "fun".

-MHF
Old 09-13-2008, 02:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

I thought Jefferson dropped off pretty fast...Georgetown is always hurricane windy...not as scenic...traffic noise from I-70...if Jefferson doesnt pan out...you can drive up the road and hit Antero in the afternoon...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in