Looking for a new reel - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a new reel

I was at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day asking about reels. I told the guy that I was looking for an all around type reel - I mainly fish on the bottom/bobber and trying to get into lures.. All from the shore.. I would not like to be limited on the type of fish I can catch (not sure if that matters from one reel to the other)..

I have done some searching on this site - but again, I'm new to this stuff (always bought cheap)..

He suggested the PFlueger Cetina Baitcaster 7:1 gear ratio.. My problem is he said it works better with heavy line - and told me not to go below 10lb test. But an earlier post about me not catching fish - one comment was about my line - it may be too heavy - try to stick around 6lbs..

He also said these type reels take some getting used to because of back lash or something? How difficult are they?

So any suggestions on these types of reels - or any reels.. I really like the look of these, I have always used spinning reels in the past.. But now that I found this website - hopefully I dont have to buy something just because I like the look of it.

Brett
Raist23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Looking for a new reel

Unless you're going to concentrate on bass fishing, I'd stay away from the baitcasters and pick up a nice spinning reel...I'm sure kodiak can tell you which models he likes in your price range...

Did you get my PM on 11 mile?
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

I can't believe im going to say this but I agree with Hobie(Did hell freeze over and pig's started to fly)

A good spinning reel is hard to beat. Id go talk with the guys at Gander and see what they can put you into.
[me=Jay] [/me]

NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

I disagree with the suggestion. A spinning reel is more versatile and user friendly under the widest array of conditions. A medium sized spinning reel can be loaded with anything from light mono to medium heavy braid as conditions/fish/lures dictate. As for brands, its very hard to beat Shimano for durability and function. And remember that the number of bearings advertised is not always the key - its the quality of those bearings that matters. A 2500 size Shimano, 302 size Abu Garcia, or 30 size Pflueger would cover most of CO fishing from trout to pike, depending on what you spool it with. CL
Old 10-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hobiecat - I did get your message and appreciate it very much. Cant wait to try some of that out. I sent you a PM - please let me know if you get it. Not sure if I have enough posts yet.
Raist23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

for sure go with the spinning reel, i favor the shimano, i have 13 of them. most of them come with 2 spools, i would spool 1 with 6 lb mono and the other with 10 lb mono. use the 6 lb for trout in clear water and the 10 lb in your local lakes that have murkey water
Old 10-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye seeker
for sure go with the spinning reel, i favor the shimano, i have 13 of them. most of them come with 2 spools, i would spool 1 with 6 lb mono and the other with 10 lb mono. use the 6 lb for trout in clear water and the 10 lb in your local lakes that have murkey water
Byron, Raist23 is the guy that called himself the World's worst fisherman....Not to put you on the spot or anything... But maybe he should hook up with you at Pueblo...

Raist23...Brett...Byron might be the nicest guy on the site...You couldn't meet a better person..And since you live in the springs, you might give him a shout...Some nice fish in Pueblo reservoir..

hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

I agree with FT. The Pflueger President 30 is a great price range reel, comes with two spools and can handle anything around here. One spool 6lb and one with 10lb like Byron suggested.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rad

I agree 100 percent with the guys on here. The baitcaster reel was a terrible suggestion for you. Stick with a spinning reel.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

baitcaster......if you have serious i mean serious motivation for trying out lures, you got to get a baitcaster, no matter what lures you decide to buy. Its true, baitcasters are a different story and takes time to perfect. If you plan to use lures 30% of the time, stick with a spining reel. The two brands i suggest are SHIMANO and DAIWA. Cant go wrong with either.
The DARK SIDE awaits you...............excellent, muahhhaaaa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in