Lake Hikes and Camping Questions - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lake Hikes and Camping Questions

Hey everyone,

One of the many things I was super excited about when I decided to move up here for college was all of the hiking to fishing/camping places that I could do. I think most of you know I'm in Fort Collins. I had a few questions about going through the process of hiking/camping/fishing high lakes.

First of all, any recommendations for books/maps/websites that will provide me information about trails/lakes and camp sites, and also fishing information of the lakes?

I don't think I'll be able to do any hiking/camping and fishing at high lakes until spring/summer because it's almost winter and I don't know enough about it yet. But it's something that really appeals to me so I'm going to try and gather as much information that I can before the winter is over.

I could sit here and type out a million questions about hiking up and camping and fishing high lakes, but instead I'll just say this;

ANY information that I would need to know about this type of thing would be great. Anything you know about it, please share it with me. I want to learn as much as I can about it before I attempt to take part in it. So again, any info. (i.e. supplies to take with me, brands of backpacks that I would use to carry all my gear, first aid things, regulations about certain areas, etc. etc. etc.) would be awesome.

Thanks guys/gals.

PS. If you need any more info about what I want to do etc. just ask.
odaon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Lake Hikes and Camping Questions

33 views and no responses yet? Lol, where are you hobie? I know you know a lot about this stuff.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Book: "The Complete Walker". OR.........

Go to Jax and ask what you need for basic backpacking/camping.

The only advice I really have is buy a warm sleeping bag and a water filter. Water is HEAVY!
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks man. Perfect. Exactly the kind of post I was looking for. Keeping um coming.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

1gal water = 8.66lb

Go to REI for maps. Well, you can pretty much get everything from them but they are kind of pricey. But if you go to REIOULET.com you can find all of thier overstock and lastyear model stuff for pretty cheap. I bought some shoes from them that where brand new for $120 I got them for $45 off of that website.
You are in a great place to do some hiking. I am sure the college has alocal club that you can getinvolved in and they will show you the ropes. Go to RMNP and do some ofthere hikes before the snow sets in and see what it is like. The trail are real nice but some of the hikes can be pretty tuff.
Have Fun.
Oh yeah in the sumer time remember to get off of the mountain before the afternoon thunderstorms kick in. Lightning can be a real B!tch!!!
Ramparttroller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks. Good info. I've been keeping an eye out for clubs that I could join, maybe I'll get online and look. I'll check out the website for sure. Thanks a lot man.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

You don't HAVE to camp to hit a high lake. I have fished over a dozen high lakes this season and only camped once.

If you avoid camping for your first few trips you avoid needing to buy a full size pack, tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, water filter, camp stove etc. Those essentials alone are gonna run you a couple hundred $ if you don't have them.

If you do a day trip all you need is a regular backpack to hold your tackle, lunch, a rain jacket and any extra clothing.
tangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Tangler. I knew that I didn't have to camp, but I want information about camping because I'd like to do that as well. Hopefully I can get up to a lake for a day trip before winter.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

You've got a lot of great areas to hike and fish close to Fort Collins...Indian Peaks...RMNP...The Rawahs...are just a few.

My advice is to get a goat....or a good woman...either can carry fifty pounds on their backs....

Check out this site...It will get you started...

http://resourceanalysis.com/fishing.html
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

As far as camping and hiking info on what to bring, carry, etc. there is tons of info on the web, experience will tell you what you really need and don't, you can search google and find sites like this to get your list started:

http://www.backpacking.net/gearlist.html
http://www.giardiaclub.com/backpacking-list.html

Colorado specific:
http://www.hikingandbackpacking.com/colorado.html
http://www.coloradotrail.org/hike.html

Do day hikes first for sure, they require a ton less planning and equipment, you'll have a lighter pack and it might help you decide how far to hike and camp later if you choose to do that. Day hiking 12-18 miles round trip to me is like hiking 6-8 miles with a full camping pack (about 40lbs or so), I'm no mule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in