Dang, I love to fish, decisions, decisions!!!! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dang, I love to fish, decisions, decisions!!!!

Quick little story, since I haven't been able to fish!!!

As many of you know, I just became a dad for the first time last Sunday. Well, this week was tough and fun and confusing and all the other stuff that comes with being a first time parent.

I am one that does not need much sleep so I am not doin to bad (I also dont have the breasts to feed the little rascle either). SO, yesterday, half way through the Bronco game, I decided to toss out the idea of me gettin back on the water.

The wife was about to lay the boy down and I said, real calm like, "yeah, I might hit the river while you two sleep". I got a kinda funny look. Not a horrible "were about to brawl" look, but a funny one none the less. She then says, "well what time will you be back?" I could tell she didn't want me to go, but at the same time didn't want to tell me not to either. She's cool like that.

I told her, "well, if I go, Ill let you know". After thinkin about it for a while, I went downstairs to tie flies and she went to bed. I didn't go because I thought, I would save it for this week and she would be happy about that.

Well, I was right. This morning, she said, "Jason, you should go fishing one afternoon this week. You have been working real hard and I can handle Calvin". I said I would probably do that (knowing darn well I would) and I told her that was a nice thing to say.

So the reason I am puttin this out there is because earlier in the year, there was this crazy thread about would you leave your wife or GF if she said it's me or the fishin? That was a rather silly ultimatum, and that is not really what I was faced with, but you know, it is times like these where both sides give, that make me appreciate my wife.

I love to fish more than any other activity, especially with a fly rod. My wife knows it and she deserves some major props for bein so dang cool. Thought Iwould share.
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Dang, I love to fish, decisions, decisions!!!!

nice work man. you made her happy that you get to go out fishing. and, of course, you get to go out fishing and relax knowing all is cool at home and will be cool when you get back. congrats on the little fly fisher.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

he he he, I have two children as well, and a wife some might classify as emotionally needy. It can be real tuff to balance the things I enjoy and family commitments. It'll get a little easier in a few years when you can offer to take the boy with you and give her a little break, (that is usually how I get clearance to go fishing...) I would never leave my family just because they didn't want me to fish as much, but I guess I am lucky like that, they understand my need to get out into nature and even the need to be alone sometimes. Sounds like you got one of the good ones too! There is a link in another post that I can't find right now to a video on CMT by brad paisley called "I'll miss her" about that very same thing. Every thing changes when kids are involved, and maybe it's for the better, I know my wife and I have had some disagreements that may have ended a "just dating" couple, and had us at odds for weeks or months, but because of the little love buckets, we were able to get past ourselves and work things out. Family, and fishing are some of the most important things to me, it's just good to remember which means more in the long run....

Congratulations, and hope you get into some fish soon....

I am always looking for fishing pals to go on the fly with, especially other young familys, so if you are in the northern area, hit me up and maybe we can leave (or take) the wives to talk about babies and such and go try our luck up the poudre.....

Oh, and there are compromises, I am not "allowed" to go out on weeknights on my buddys boat, cause we never get back before midnight, but I can live with weekend boating, (just not at the tooth or boyd.....)

Dave

But, if you teach a man to fish, he'll always be late for supper...
deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Heres that link, stolen from the "fishing and music" thread on this page....

http://www.cmt.com/videos/brad-paisl...miss-her.jhtml

Pretty funny stuff....

But, if you teach a man to fish, he'll always be late for supper...
deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Congrats on the kid, my fisrt is 6 months old now. It definitely changes everything! You can still get out and fish you hust have to make modifications, I had my boy on the boat when he was two weeks old, flyfishing with him in a chestpack by two months, and even floated down the Colorado river with him when he was 4 months old.
Take them out and enjoy (your wife will really love you for giving her a break to!)
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclay0429
you get to go out fishing and relax knowing all is cool at home and will be cool when you get back.
x2 I totally agree with that. I have 2 boys one is 2yrs 9 month and the other 9 months. I go fishing when i want to! BUT, I make sure it is cool with the wife. Like Jclay said it is nice to get out "fishing and relax knowing all is cool at home and will be cool when you get back. " I dont think I would have a very good time if I was dreading the return home the whole time.

For me the number of times i go fishing in a year has def. dropped FOR NOW. But unless you are a Bada$$ like FishLip and can manage an infant and fishing at the same time(I envy you fishlip) then that will be a sacrifice you will have to make. Just keep in mind that it will all pay off very soon when you get to take them with you!!! (Time flies by these days)

My 2 year old has come fishing with me a few times now and we have allot of fun!! I dont get in much fishing but really really enjoy helping him catch fish!!

Besides you have to help him now because when you are like 95 he is gunna return the favor! Changing your diapers and baiting your hook
Old 10-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Get yourself a chest pack (I liked the Baby Bjorn) and you can score major points. Here's how it works.

First, don't plan on major fishing trips, or even trips where you might have to don waders...you don't want to risk it with an infant on your chest. What you want to do is go on short trips to local waters. In my case, I spent a lot of time throwing frogs at bass and fly rod poppers at bluegill. The key is to have a spot that is near home where you can catch a few fish.

Second, forget about fishing regular hours (early AM or late evening). Think about fishing bankers hours, because, as you'll see, this isn't all about the fishing.

Third, offer to take the infant (Calvin, in Oyey's case) off your wife's hands right after they've been fed. Most infants are eating every 2 - 4 hours, so that's your fishing window. Mention to your wife that you'll take care of the little one so that she can relax, sleep, eat, sleep, or whatever she wants to do for a couple of hours. My wife generally wanted to sleep, and I wanted to spend some time with the kids.

Once you've got this set-up, you're in business. When the infant is getting fed, get the car loaded. As soon as they're done, grab 'em, give your wife a kiss, and tell her you'll be back in a couple of hours. Load the little one into the car carrier, jet off to your spot, load them in the chest pack, and get to fishing. I definitely prefer chest packs to backpacks because (1) you can always see the kid, (2) you're not likely to accidentally brush them through branches and things, and (3) I've yet to meet a dad who didn't like being able to look down on a sleeping infant while they are fishing.

This system works great and giving your wife some quiet time without the infant will score you some major brownie points. If you want to graduate from brownie points to straight german chocolate cake, try to schedule massages for your wife during your fishing trips.

I've found that if I took either of my kids fishing three or four times on these mini-trips, every couple of weeks my wife would tell me that I should take a longer trip, on my own.

Give it try!

FishDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

I see an excuse to buy a boat in your future!!!!  Sure honey, I'll take the kid off your hands for the next 10-12 hours!

In the romance/wife/girlfirend department, well I'm just about the luckiest guy ever!!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Very nice suggestions. I already have a baby bjorn and I too think about the wife first. I dont want to try to go out fishin unless my conscience is completely clear. My wife is understanding and I think Deadhead said it best, when he said, sometimes we need time alone. I dont need a lot of time alone, but an hour or three a month is something I charish. I did before I was a dad and I do now.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I am leaving work at about 2:30 to hit the Ark for a couple hours.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvinson
But unless you are a Bada$$ like FishLip and can manage an infant and fishing at the same time(I envy you fishlip)
Haha.. a baby bjorn and a pacifier on a bungee cord is anything but bada$$. But you do what you can to get out and enjoy it, I am lucky that I live close to alot of great fishing, so it is not tough to grab the kid and go hit the river for an hour or two. My wife greatly appreciates the free time and usually recomends some serious fishing without the kid also.

A great point to make and one I am quickly learning is, fishing with the kids is not about you catching fish, it is about them having a good time (even as infants) Since I started taking him so early he loves the chestpack and loves watching the river and trees go by. Every laugh and giggle makes me smile and enjoy the trip that much more!

BTW excellent tip on the scheduled massage!
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in