Waterton Fly Fishing - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Waterton Fly Fishing

I fish the South Platte in Waterton Canyon often. However, I am curious if others have had any luck lately (fly fishing). The past several weeks I have caught a few small Browns using a small beadhead PT. And, I caught a couple of Rainbows (10-12in) on a San Juan Worm and a Wolly Bugger. Today - I saw several nice Rainbows (18-20in) working the riffles flowing out of a pool. But, they wouldn't take anything I drifted in front of them. Driving me crazy.
I typically fish above the Marston Dam all the way to the Strontia Dam. Any help on what the Bows and Browns are biting on would be greatly appreciated!
agfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Waterton Fly Fishing

A friend of mine road his bike up the Canyon on Saturday. He said he caught a 18" bow but I don't have details of where or what he was using.

They're in there - keep at it
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

This time of year, my guess is they were eating bwos. Did you try any of those patterns? Pheasant tails usually work for bwos, but some of the other flies are absolutely killer (and more accurate looking IMO), like barrs bwo for instance

Did you try to "crash the hatch"? Sometimes throwing a big ugly streamer or big bushy attractor dry will induce a take.

By far I've caught more fish on bwos than anything else there, but usually it's on the surface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have tried some BWO dries - without any luck. I did catch a small brown on a very small trico pattern. The smallest BWO dry I have is #18. I know this time of year and continuing into the winter - smaller is typically better. I was thinking of trying some #20 and #22 BWOs.
I know the "chase" is a lot of the fun. But when I can see those really nice size Bows feeding in the water - I'd like to experience the "catch." I'll be fishing this week during the noon hours. If I find the right "combo", I'll pass it along for others to enjoy the thrill of the catch.
agfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

My best days there have been with RS2s by the bridge. Never caught an 18 in. though, keep pounding it.... Good luck.
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in