Quagga Mussels found in Jumbo and Tarryall - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quagga Mussels found in Jumbo and Tarryall

MONITORING FINDS QUAGGA MUSSEL LARVAE IN JUMBO AND TARRYALL RESERVOIRS

A State initiative to gather more information on the presence of aquatic invasive species in Colorado confirmed the presence of quagga mussel larvae in Jumbo Reservoir in Logan County, and Tarryall Reservoir in Park County.

Veligers, the larval stage of quagga mussels, were initially identified by a microscopic analysis of water samples. An independent lab confirmed the presence of quagga mussel DNA in the samples.

Earlier this summer, the Colorado Division of Wildlife (DOW) implemented mandatory boat inspections at Tarryall and continues to inspect all boats entering and exiting the reservoir. The DOW and the Julesburg Irrigation Company will be discussing an appropriate response for Jumbo Reservoir.

Public awareness and participation is the best weapon in the containment of invasive species. Invasive mussels endanger water quality and natural resources. Boaters are reminded to take the simple precaution of making sure that they Clean, Drain, and Dry their boat when they leave the lake. All boaters should remember to follow these steps to ensure they are not spreading the mussels to clean waters:

DRAIN the water from the vessel, live well and the lower unit of the engine.

CLEAN the hull of the vessel.

DRY the vessel, fishing gear and other equipment.

INSPECT all exposed surfaces.

REMOVE all plant and animal material.

"Boaters need to remain extremely vigilant in following the 'Clean, Drain and Dry' protocol," said Elizabeth Brown, DOW Invasive Species Coordinator. "We need the help of boaters to prevent the spread of the mussels in Colorado. There are hundreds of uninfested lakes and we want to keep them that way."

Jumbo Reservoir Boating Restrictions:

Under existing regulations, recreational boating on Jumbo Reservoir is prohibited October 1st through the last day of regular goose season on February 15th. Shoreline waterfowl hunters may use hand-propelled craft to set and pick up decoys, and to retrieve downed waterfowl. Waterfowl hunting from motorized vessels is allowed by reservation only and only hunters with reservations are exempt from the October 1 boat closure. Reservations may be made by calling 1-800-846-9453.

Tarryall Reservoir Restrictions and Inspection Procedures:

Trailered boats are allowed on the lake from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday through Monday. No night boating is allowed. Before launching, trailered boats must be inspected at the north ramp off Park County Road 77. Hand-launched craft such as float tubes, canoes and non-motorized rowboats are permitted at all times.

For more information about Division of Wildlife go to: http://wildlife.state.co.us.
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Quagga Mussels found in Jumbo and Tarryall

That's not good. I can see Denver water closing all access points to any of the lakes they control.

I know I am preaching to the choir but boaters get your act together.
JT
campingkids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Damn, just read that on channel 7's website. Small quote from there:

Quagga mussels, the related zebra mussels or their larvae have also been found in Grand Lake, Lake Granby, Shadow Mountain Reservoir, Willow Creek Reservoir and Lake Pueblo.

Not good.

Rob

Old 10-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

how the ............. can jumbo have quaggas. I swear that lake was drained completely like 3 yrs ago. Who the.......boats jumbo nowadays anyways with the lack of size for crappie, wallys, and wipers. Trout dont count, who cares for stockers. Im guessing the lake to the NE is transporting the specimens.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

As far as I am concerned the battle is over they are in the headwaters of nearly every drainage system in the state now its only a matter of time.
scchase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

:P Won't be long now before they'll be in everyones bathtub water :P

:P They're like the flu , you know its coming eventualy :P

Maynard G Krebs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Southplatter makes a great point- how are mussels getting into so many bodies of water so quickly? I think the DOW is wasting their time w/boating inspections- they inspect boats/trailers for wet stuff, weeds,etc., but they can`t truly inspect boats without a microscope. Veligers are to small to be seen with the naked eye. I will say the DOW is doing a great job of educating & informing people of the problem. Will it make a difference? It`s kind of like closing the barn door after the horse is long gone. I don`t know how long they have been checking waters for mussels, but all the mussels found in CO have been veligers- little tiny baby travelers. As of yet, no substantial adult populations of either species have appeared (the last I heard from the DOW), but the veligers ARE present, in some places large numbers. This would mean they have been introduced within the last year, 2 max. Where are they coming from? Tournament fisherman? Vacationers bringing boats? The reservoirs they are being found in tend to be larger bodies of water, but they seem spread all around CO., not in one general area.
fish fetish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to timper

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingkids
That's not good. I can see Denver water closing all access points to any of the lakes they control.

I know I am preaching to the choir but boaters get your act together.
JT
If Denver Water mafia does that they will regret it. Too many people would be pissed off.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to timper

Sucks they keep spreading. I am sure they spread by waterfowl as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in