Gravlax and fillet knife? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gravlax and fillet knife?

Greetings all. I've been doing a fair amount of koke fishing lately and have become curious about methods of preparing them. Has anyone ever tried the Swedish method of preparing gravlax? It looks like they might be pretty tasty that way. Also, I'd love to get some opinions about a good fillet knife. I'm trying to find one for hopefully under $100. What do you guys use? Thanks in advance.

Keith
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Gravlax and fillet knife?

I use the pretty cheap rapala fillet knives.  I've had one for many years, at least 15 or so, still has plenty of blade left.

This is the one, or close to it:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...oductId=967908

http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...oductId=967911

I don't remember which size I have though.

As far as cleaning goes, I clean almost everything the same, cut the head off, remove the insides, and cook. Once in a while I might actually fillet something, but I honestly can't remember the last time I did that.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Never heard of Gravlax but if your looking for a fillet knife you can't go wrong with a Rapala Electric knife. They come with a carrying case, two sets of blades, a wall outlet plug, car plug, and 12 volt battery plug. You can pick one up at Wal-mart for $40. I absolutely love mine. Once you go with electric you won't go back. They are easily ten times faster and much much easier to use than traditional fillet knives.
CaptHook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I bought a Kommer's Big Eddy Fillet Knife from Sportsman's about 8 years ago and it's never let me down. Comes with a plastic sheath and a rubber non-slip handle. It's very flexible and it's thin enough that you can cut the bones out of a kokanee fillet. I've also used it quite a bit for de-boning pike.

I have the 3010

http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklesto...e.cfm?PID=2121

Like Phil mentioned, the Rapala fillet knives are great for the money as well. The thing I don't like about them is the wood handle.
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have to disagree with Rapala praise (non electric)
Good price range yes.
Quality not so much.

Now, I have only owned one but it has not perfomed very well or kept its edge. I know how to sharpen properly and still it has not kept a decent edge. Soapstone or garnite. Nada.

Also, the rapala needle nose pliers I purchased at the begining of the season lasted about 5 seconds in the sharpness arena. Clipped a few hooks and mashed a few barbs, and then they were worthless.

Cannot go wrong with a solid Schrade or Gerber product for any style knife. Its like pots and pans-spend a few extra bones. Its worth it.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have one cheap one (Intruder or something like that) then I have a really nice one (a Wusthof). I love my Wusthof knife. It cuts through everything so easily.
odaon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

I brine my salmon by putting whole fish or filets in a ziplock bag with sugar/salt/pepper and granulated garlic and paprika for 2 or 3 days. It seems to "cook" (denature the protein) just like ceviche does in lime juice. Then I smoke using Alder wood, when I get around to it. I looked up Gravlax -- sounds good, (the cold curing and dill part, not the buried meat part) although I think I'd feel better about smoking or freezing the final product just to be sure and finish off any parasites.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpetro
I'd love to get some opinions about a good fillet knife.  I'm trying to find one for hopefully under $100.  What do you guys use?  Thanks in advance.
Keith
You can't go wrong with J.A. Henckels!

http://tinyurl.com/3kmawu or http://tinyurl.com/3lur3y
Old 10-14-2008, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albow
I brine my salmon by putting whole fish or filets in a ziplock bag with sugar/salt/pepper and granulated garlic and paprika for 2 or 3 days. It seems to "cook" (denature the protein) just like ceviche does in lime juice. Then I smoke using Alder wood, when I get around to it. I looked up Gravlax -- sounds good, (the cold curing and dill part, not the buried meat part) although I think I'd feel better about smoking or freezing the final product just to be sure and finish off any parasites.
Thats why you wont find sushi or sashimi made with fresh water fish. Fresh water fish are known to carry lots of parasites. I would eat it without proper smoking or cooking, could always freeze but that would ruin the texture of the lox.
andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 11:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

I use a benchmade fillet knife. It is the best fillet knife I have used and it is only $35 buck.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...x?model=10110S
TonyQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in