Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

no wonder other states love the Greenies

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  RyJ 
#1 ·
here is what a Fort Collins spearfisheman is telling the Utah folks. a real poster child for his sport, Man I thought Phil, Krebs and some of the boys on here were tough ::)

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?p= ... post804431 )....
I BET I CAN FIND A FISH OVER 40 POUNDS IN EITHER FLAMING GORGE OR FISH LAKE.... I AM GOING TO PUT MY SHAFT RIGHT NEXT TO HIM THEN PULL THE TRIGGER... BLOW A HUGE HOLE IN THE SIDE. THEN CLEAN THE FISH. PRE-PAIR HIM UP NICELY FOR MY DOG TO EAT. THEN POST A PICTURE OF THAT... THEN LET YOU ALL CHEW ON THAT. THEN HEAD OUT THE NEXT WEEKEND AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN. HOW MANY FISH DO YOU THINK I CAN TAKE THEN... OF COURSE ALL LEGAL AND ON THE UP AND UP AT LEAST FOR TWO MORE MONTHS. WHO KNOWS MAYBE EVEN NEXT YEAR...

I am done with responding to name calling and this public linching of something that is totally legal... I know you may find what I have said to be wrong and un ethical but what I see happening here is way worse then taking any fish....

#4 ·
It`s kind of funny. I`m sure he posted that because he got bashed for spear-fishing, felt a little harassed, felt like stirring the pot to defend himself. However- it is legal there. Hey, while we`re at it let`s condemn all the snaggers in this state (let`s stick to OUR state please). Yeah it`s great & almost semi-challenging to rip spawning salmon with a huge weighted hook in their side or arse (yeah, it fought great)- not to mention rainbows & browns in the mix incidentally (that fish swam away fine- he`ll live), or (noone saw me foul hook that fish, I`ll keep it, it`s all good). Ignorance. You can`t see the forest for the trees. You`re worried about another state that you have very little say in, as opposed to silly #$%! that goes on here, maybe where you live. Do not get me wrong- I believe lakers are a truly magnificent fish that can live a long time, & more importantly, spawn repeatedly. However- there`s lots of yahoos out there, he may be a total richard, but he is not doing anything illegal. & there is nothing you can do about it, except complain on your computer. Snagging is way worse IMHO, but no one is bitching about that in THIS state. If the laker coaltion has an issue, start a petition to change a law in another state- if you have some cash behind it,(or better yet, boycott- don`t fish there at all) maybe something will change. I believe we need to concentrate on what happens in THIS state-littering, blatant over-harvesting, poaching, etc.

#5 ·
fish fetish said:
It`s kind of funny. I`m sure he posted that because he got bashed for spear-fishing, felt a little harassed, felt like stirring the pot to defend himself. However- it is legal there. Hey, while we`re at it let`s condemn all the snaggers in this state (let`s stick to OUR state please). Yeah it`s great & almost semi-challenging to rip spawning salmon with a huge weighted hook in their side or arse (yeah, it fought great)- not to mention rainbows & browns in the mix incidentally (that fish swam away fine- he`ll live), or (noone saw me foul hook that fish, I`ll keep it, it`s all good). Ignorance. You can`t see the forest for the trees. You`re worried about another state that you have very little say in, as opposed to silly #$%! that goes on here, maybe where you live. Do not get me wrong- I believe lakers are a truly magnificent fish that can live a long time, & more importantly, spawn repeatedly. However- there`s lots of yahoos out there, he may be a total richard, but he is not doing anything illegal. & there is nothing you can do about it, except complain on your computer. Snagging is way worse IMHO, but no one is bitching about that in THIS state. If the laker coaltion has an issue, start a petition to change a law in another state- if you have some cash behind it,(or better yet, boycott- don`t fish there at all) maybe something will change. I believe we need to concentrate on what happens in THIS state-littering, blatant over-harvesting, poaching, etc.
Well said,

#6 ·
Actually fellas, there is a move to change things in Utah. Lots of us Colorado guys fish Utah a lot, especially Flaming Gorge, so we have a direct stake in the outcome. And I have no doubt that we serious mack fishermen spend way more days and dollars in Utah than the spears every year than the spear-nuts, so the Utah DNR, and certainly the legislature, will listen to us.

As for snagging kokanee being worse? I don't like it either and have posted my opinions on it frequently. If you want to take on that "cause", fish fetish, I'll support you. But I don't think it's worse than what these spear-nitwits do on the lake trout spawning beds, so that's where I'm concentrating my efforts. To each his own.

So, to us it's not "kind of funny", we're not "ignorant", and we do see the forest. It's just not the same forest you're worried about.

#7 ·
No worries- one persons forest is not another persons forest. I know you C&R, particularly the large ones, that`s great, I`m all for that. If you choose to spend your money in another state, hey, it`s a free country. There are alot of people that will take lakers, spear-fishing or hook-&-line, I don`t see a difference. There are plenty of boat guys who catch lakers, release them, only to die later. I support your cause as well,I know you are very passionate about lakers, when the law changes let me know. How do you feel about spearfishing `em when they`re not spawning? In truth, ALL fish are important to me, & if you have interest in another state, whatever. I will concentrate on my "forest" closer to home. I can`t be concerned with laws in another state for a species I rarely go out of my way to fish for, lots of problems here that need to be fixed.

#8 ·
fish fetish said:
I will concentrate on my "forest" closer to home. I can`t be concerned with laws in another state for a species I rarely go out of my way to fish for, lots of problems here that need to be fixed.
There are lots of changes I would support here, too, if you want help. Let me know.

#9 ·
While compairing snagging kokes to spearing lakers I have a question... How old are the kokes at cheeseman that are being snagged?? How old are the lakers that are being shot???

My guess is that the kokes are a couple years old while the lakers are older than the people spearfishing...

#10 ·
fish fetish, I hear what your saying , we do have allot of problems in Colorado that need atention. But allot of Colorado fisheramn frequent Utah, Nebraska, Wyo and that was the jest of the post and to let people know what crap goes on outside our little perfect state ;D

#11 ·
rvinson said:
While compairing snagging kokes to spearing lakers I have a question... How old are the kokes at cheeseman that are being snagged?? How old are the lakers that are being shot???

My guess is that the kokes are a couple years old while the lakers are older than the people spearfishing...
Pretty good guess. The spawning kokes are typically 4 years old. A 25 lb lake trout will generally be anywhere from 20 to 30 or more years old, depending on the particular fishery, and it will have the capability to keep living and growing for another 30 years or more in mst fisheries.

Virtually every big lake trout you catch will show some evidence of having been caught before. Bernie Keefe has records of his clients catching the same tagged lake trout seven times from Granby.

#12 ·
Me being displaced because of my military service. Colorado is my second home right now. I am originally from Oregon, on the coast. And snagging is illegal up there and will get your butt in a sling real quick. So when I heard it was legal here it blew me away. I am not sure if there is a technique to it but it doesnt seem fun to me. Doesnt seem like much sport or really fair to the fishery. But its just my opinion, some people seem to enjoy it. I just dont know if I could bring myself to do it. And as far as the comments made by the other guy on the other site... thats a terrible mind state even if he was lashing out. To take away from a lake and feed it to your dog is pretty ridiculous. But like I said earlier this is just my 2c....

#13 ·
I'm not much for snagging kokes, but the reason I generally don't have a problem with it is; As far as I know most lakes here do not rely on natural reproduction of kokes. Most are just stocked the hell out of. If the DOW relied more heavily on naturally reproducing kokes I think you would see a change in philosophy, like in Utah where stretches of rivers used for koke spawning are absolutely closed to ALL angling during the spawn. It is interesting to see the differences in thinking one state to the next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.