Is Rampart Open? Sucker meat? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is Rampart Open? Sucker meat?

Does anyone know when and if rampart is closed? I think the main road is closed, but i usually make the walk to the inlet. Also, when using sucker meat, is it ok to catch one and cut it fresh? If so, can u just cast it out and fish it like bait or do you have to use it with a tube jig?
cody375 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Is Rampart Open? Sucker meat?

Suckers can be used for bait, cut bait, or anything you'd like as far as I know, so you can throw out a whole one, or pieces of one.

I would think catching one fresh would be much much more effective than any suckers you could buy at a store, plus they smell, look, and taste exactly like the ones they forage on.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I have been doing well with the macks my past couple times up there, most in the 18 to 22 inch range, but im trying to hook into something bigger.
cody375 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to timper

It's open until it freezes. They banned ice fishing due to wild tales about the water level being 10 feet below the ice do to fluctuation. I have seen Blue Mesa drop 30 feet in a week, and the ice is still right on top of the water, no "air pockets". Too many government officials are worried people will fall down and get a boo boo.

Oh well, there are better places to go ice fishing for macks. Rampart isn't very productive and a 25 incher is nice for there.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceInTheVeins.
Rampart isn't very productive and a 25 incher is nice for there.
Really? And you know this how?

Old 10-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to timper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofindyourowndamnfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceInTheVeins.
Rampart isn't very productive and a 25 incher is nice for there.
Really? And you know this how?
Because I talk to more anglers than just about anybody else. Rampart doesn't have much of a littoral zone, it's basically a big bathtub, so there are very few nutrient rich shallows. It's very oligotrophic with a slow growth rate. There are still a few pigs in there though.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

This is true-I fished there for several years back in the day. Most every Mack was a carbon copy of the last one caught. 18" to 22", fairly skinny and just a handful over the 24" mark. And I'm talking about literally hundreds of fish caught. I did here stories of someone catching one over 20 ibs once in awhile but these seemed to very very rare.

Because its a CS lake that we use for drinking water the argument I heard is that they didn't want to introduce alot of prey species that might negatively impact the water quality. A very sterile lake with slow growth rates but the scenery up there can't be beat and I always caught good numbers of fish, just not much on size.

IMO if you're looking for quality size macks over that 15-20 lb range there are far better places to spend your fishing time. But it is close to CS and so gets a fair amount of traffic. The hike down to the inlet is about 2-3 miles and in all but the coldest weather its open for at least 100-200yds all winter long. Its a fairly easy hike down but a steep one back up. I've cauth plenty of rainbows down there Dec thru Feb but no macks to speak of-I'm assuming the are in much deeper water. A good half day outing to chase the cabin fever.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 07:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Great description Ice and well put experience/information kirby! Thanks guys! Is it legal to ice fish and is the ice ever really safe consiering there's a couple hundred yards of open water?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnPhil
Great description Ice and well put experience/information kirby! Thanks guys! Is it legal to ice fish and is the ice ever really safe consiering there's a couple hundred yards of open water?
Phil most of the time at all lakes there is some open water while ice fishing. You just can't be scared.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 08:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnPhil
Phil most of the time at all lakes there is some open water while ice fishing. You just can't be scared.
hahah, well as long as someone is walking in front of me I feel real safe, I'm a skinny sob!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in