Heron Lake New Mexico - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Heron Lake New Mexico

My fiance' booked a cabin for us and her family around Heron Lake State Park New Mexico in the middle of November. The DOW in New Mexico doesn't do nearly as good a job as here in Colorado. Besides some koke snagging regulations, I seriously cannot find ANYTHING else on this lake or neighboring El Vado Lake....no fish species, nothing. Has anyone fished these lakes? Any info at all would help considerably. I'll be taking my boat down there and like to represent Colorado by outfishing EVERYONE!!! Thanks for any info.
jefwinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Heron Lake New Mexico

I fished lake heron over memorial day weekend this year. We trolled the whole lake for 2 days and put a couple of bows, and 1 koke in the boat. I fished El Vado about 7 years ago and caught bows, kokes and one huge carp.I don't think there is much else in either lake. If your looking for variety of species Lake Abiquiu is close by. Rip them lips!
coloradonative is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey man, I live in Alb and fished that lake tons growing up and a few times a year since.
Species- Rainbows- not many big ones but they are there, it's more of a numbers game for the bows. Fishing with roe is smashing this time of year, DONT SET DOWN YOUR ROD! they hit quick!jerkbaits and other trout tactics work well too.)
Lakers- This time of year people start catching those things right off the ramp it's crazy. I dont hear of alot of people catching 4 or 5 lakers a day but 1 maybe 2 is always a possibility. Once again they love eating up that roe right now... you might ask for some from a snagger or nail a female or two to stock up. jiggin cutbait might pull one also but they will be moving and taking advantage of the Salmon spawning.
There are Browns in that lake but not many at all, I rarely ever hear of people catching them.
Obviously there are Kokanee, there used to be Coho in that lake a long time ago but not anymore. Oh and there is Carp too, commons.
There is gonna be a million people there by the dam all the way lined up to the ramp so if you're taking your boat get a map of the lake and head towards willow creek and get back along the rocky shorelin and ridges and there wont be a nearly as many people if any at all. We killed it there last year it was nuts back to back to back fish whatever you wanted Bows and Kokes I'm really suprised we didn't land any Lakers. My buddy busted off one.
El-Vado this is the spot to hit for Brownies, some Bows to but the Browns are making way to the headwaters and readying for spawn. Toss big coutdowns jsut below Stone house lodge, it's the top end of the lake and the closest you can get to the river. You don't even have to fish the river just hit that big bending arm of the canyon that the river comes through. Big Browns, you've got good shot at one around 5-8# or more. When the lakes up all the way like it was earlier this year it's deep as hell itself right there but right now it should be a huge rig wall that drops straight down, then the water starts and it should be around 20-25 feet deep if it's as low as I hear it is.
Anyhow hope that helps, should about cover it.

Here's the view of the Brazos from Heron.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Trolling can really be hit or miss, This year we had a day that we hit 3o someodd Kokes and a few Bows in 13 hours trolling. then the next weekend we applied the same methods and had a horrible trip only landing 12 Kokes and a few Bows.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMFISHN

Here's the view of the Brazos from Heron.
[IMG]
Here's a pic looking the opposite way. I took this on the other side of that point memorial day weekend.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Coloradonative.....finally got to use the motor you handed over to me the other day out at Quincy. Besides a little issue with the locking pin that I later cleared up, the thing ran like a dream. It was a damn windy day....and it definitely had no problem keeping me off the rocks. Thanks again! How's the water temp over at Aurora? Just kidding. I saw your post.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo
Coloradonative.....finally got to use the motor you handed over to me the other day out at Quincy. Besides a little issue with the locking pin that I later cleared up, the thing ran like a dream. It was a damn windy day....and it definitely had no problem keeping me off the rocks. Thanks again! How's the water temp over at Aurora? Just kidding. I saw your post.
I think your refering to colonative, and Im coloradonative. I'm better looking then him! And the water is cold!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm from Heron Lake, MN and I'd like to fish Heron Lake, NM sometime... Just to say I've done it.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

If you've got a day or two for a side trip I'd recomment Ute outside Logan (near Tucumcari). Great lake for smallies,largemouth and walleye and Nov is a great time to go-their water stays larmer longer than up here.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

You guys are all awesome! Thanks for the tips. I tried for days to get info on these lakes in just about every search engine on the net and it finally dawned on me to ask for help on this site. You all saved me many headaches. I'll let the site know how I do when I get back. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in