Puebo 10/31 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puebo 10/31

Got a question. Went down to Pueblo yesterday and did well on smallies and walleye with cranks and tubes. Noticed 3-4, sometimes even more boats off the long point outside the north marina-vertical jigging I guess. My temp gaugh read 61-63 so I'm wondering if it's a little early to start jigging for them when other methods are still working. Any thoughts.

In a month or so, we'll all be vertcal jogging, just thought its a little too early.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2008, 06:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Puebo 10/31

I have never vertical jigged before in the winter. It's always something that I have wanted to try, but the few people that I know that have boats always winterize them. How does this type of fishing vary compared to summer fishing? You catch more fish or fewer? Larger or smaller? Any differences really?

I am still catching bass very shallow. 2-6 FOW. Havent caught a walleye since june however....
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2008, 07:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrunnr1
I have never vertical jigged before in the winter. It's always something that I have wanted to try, but the few people that I know that have boats always winterize them. How does this type of fishing vary compared to summer fishing? You catch more fish or fewer? Larger or smaller? Any differences really?

I am still catching bass very shallow. 2-6 FOW. Havent caught a walleye since june however....
it's ice fishing without the ice. targeting active fish, mostly in deep water. you can catch every size/species in the lake some days and the skunk on others... so yeah, pretty similar to summer fishin'... only colder

Old 11-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

As far as size, I don't see much difference between now and when I start jigging. One thing I have noticed-somethimes you load the boat jigging, other times you can't buy a bite. I do catch alot more walleye and cats in the winter, compared to summer where my bass catch is 90% of what I land. For me at least, vetcal jigging is best from mid-Nov thru the new year, then declines quite a bit in Jan and Feb. My best spots for jigging are down by the dam and around shiprock.

One final thing-in late fall, early winter I'm jigging in 35-45 FOW, later in the winter I have better luck at 60 ft or even deeper. Its not the most exciting way to fish but it does put fish in the boat when not much else will. Also, I have caught some gigantic carp when jigging.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

There is no clock nor calendar that determines when going vertical turns on. Watch the finder, it will tell you. If the shad are balling up and the arches start to show up under them and this occurs is water deeper than you can get a crank, give the spoon a try. We've spooned Glendo in late August when the water was in the mid to high 70's and been successful.

The kids and I will be down there tomorrow, vertical (spooning) will be presentation #1. Drop shotting and slip bobber/hairjig will be #2.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

they started jigging that spot in the first week of sepi
Old 11-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Another example: CWA Big Mac toureny held Aug of 07. Water temps in the 80's, air temps were close to 100. Probably 70% of the fish weighed were caught on spoons in 22-35 FOW.

Article I wrote on the tourney: http://www.cwaonline.net/tournaments...nts4/recap.php
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in