leadcore line - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default leadcore line

I just got a new trolling combo with a linecounter level wind reel. I spooled it up with dacron backing, leadcore line 18#, and 30 ft of 10# mono as a leader. (A book I read said to use such a long leader, I don't know if its so great). Anyway, took it out all eager like, thinking, I would just let it spool out behind the boat. But I found that the 30 ft leader AND the first 30 ft of leadcore did not want to spool out. Had to sort of hand feed it out. With 30 ft of leadcore OUT, it started running out on its own. Any one know anything about this? That hand feeding was a drag!
amster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: leadcore line

What size of reel is it? May have to much line on. Was it clicking while pulling the line out?
Old 11-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

that is common with leadcore, however you can adjust the caps on the spool ends. it also depends on what you put on as a lure. if you use a diving lure it will run out easy, but a light weight spoon you need to help it some. leadcore is a must for some kinds of fishing, but it is a speciality tool and not for all kinds of fishing. i fish for wipers and walleyes, last year i used leadcore for about 60 days and it was killing the wipers and some eyes. this year it wasn't working. i dont fish for trout much, but when i do it is always with me. there is a learning curve for fishing with leadcore, but when you learn how and when to use it you will love it. but be prepaired to cuss at it from time to time
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 05:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Good thread. NBM just got a huge trolling rig and it is set up with leadcore. He has to hand feed it but that puppy caught fish right off the bat.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

I believe I read that same article about using 30' of mono leader, but think it's too much. I use about 2 rod lengths of 10# fluro and it seems to work just fine. No matter what lure you use, you'll have to pull off 10' or so of leadcore before it starts to"freespool".
daveycrocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveycrocket
I believe I read that same article about using 30' of mono leader, but think it's too much. I use about 2 rod lengths of 10# fluro and it seems to work just fine. No matter what lure you use, you'll have to pull off 10' or so of leadcore before it starts to"freespool".
i think leader length varies from person to person. i use 40' ... i think any length that allows the correct action of the lure and doesn't spook line shy fish will work fine
Old 11-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

i always start with 45-50 feet as it shortens due to break offs i replace it at 30 feet. i have used as short as 5 feet in dirty water with a hard diving lure like a deep rapala. in clear water for trout or kokes, 30 feet is as short as i go

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in