Tube Jigs? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tube Jigs?

So, heading up to spinney on saturday, and have been reading that alot of ppl have been having luck with tube jigs. Now, this is my first year fishing in colorado, and my first year fishing for trout. I will be fishing from shore, any recommendations on size and color for tube jigs? And i really dont know how to jig them either. I will probably fish the dam with the tube jigs unless anyone has a better suggestion.
cody375 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Tube Jigs?

That is a good idea, but they are much easier to fish casting to shore rather than retreiving them. Take some jerk baits with you and cast them parralel to shore. Also, try to find the break where the rocks meet the sand. If you can find that with the tubes, you will not only avoid snags, you will catch fish. Good luck and please report.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyey
That is a good idea, but they are much easier to fish casting to shore rather than retreiving them. Take some jerk baits with you and cast them parralel to shore. Also, try to find the break where the rocks meet the sand. If you can find that with the tubes, you will not only avoid snags, you will catch fish. Good luck and please report.
What Oyey said. I always do well with white tubes or the brown ones with black flakes. 3". I casted them to the shore and SLOWLY drag them back.....maybe twitchiing it one or twice just slightly. If you use jerkbaits, you may slam into a nice pike too. I like smithwicks and a lot of people like X-raps.
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Although I've used others, I've had the best luck with 2 3/4" Bitsy Tubes by Strike King. Cast them out, let them fall and swim them back by twitching your rod tip up once or twice then let if fall. Reel in the slack when the tube is falling then repeat. Vary the speed until you find out what they want. Sometimes it will feel heavy like you are on weeds. If so, set the hook. Other times they will crush it.
If this retreive doesn't work then try the slower approach as previously mentioned. I prefer white in the morning, then green pumpkin or watermelon shades. I've also had good luck with the Gitzit craw color.
You can get the Bitsy tubes at BPS or Sportsmans.
When the wind is up I like Rapala rainbow or brown trout patterns.
When wind is ragin I go to a SW Rogue black back, silver side, orange belly. It will catch anything in that lake. The point by the bird islands, east of the north boat ramp or 2nd parking lot are a few spots. If you can wade out that helps too. Let us know how you do..
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Also after the wind you see a mud line try to fish right at the separation dirty and clean water big ones lurk there.

TH
trouthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Walk along the rocks on the dam when the wind picks up in the afternoon. The wind will be intense and right in your face but if you look straight out you see the mudline. Trout with bellies like footballs are in there waiting for a meal to be blown their way.

The nice lady at the Chapparral store will have all the jigs and jig heads you need in the correct weights, sizes and colors. Spend a little money there and it will be worth your while.

With regard to technique, as with other lures you have to try a few different retrieves and let the fish will tell you what they want. You can "swim a jig" with a steady retrieve parallel to shore. The correct weight will keep them in the strike zone. If fishing along shore just bumping the tops of rocks the noise will attract attention. You will lose jigs this way but for the price of an x-rap you can buy a lot of jigs. The more usual technique is similar to the way you would use a spoon lure. You cast out, let it sink, and then begin a series of short quick lifts of the rod tip as you retrieve. That's jigging. Think about what's happening at the end of your line. Strikes frequently come on the fall, as the jig flutters and darts around. So you need to try keep a little tension on your line and try to "feel" what's going on with your lure. Sometimes hits are light and if you can feel this you can try to set the hook. I'm not one to spend a lot of money on equipment but a sensitive rod makes all the difference here. Watch your jig as you bring it in, check out the action and make it look "fishy." Adding a dab of nitrogrease to your jig will often make a difference when lake fishing. Keep in mind regs don't allow any scent at all either in the plastic or added on at places like Spinney.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Good post...good info.
colonative is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Tubes suck!! Don't use them
boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 01:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albow
The nice lady at the Chapparral store will have all the jigs and jig heads you need in the correct weights, sizes and colors. Spend a little money there and it will be worth your while.
Never used a tube jig before until Rob the Owner suggested I try them that afternoon caught almost 20. They are great there and the nice lady's name is Kandy. Free wifi there if you are playing hooky from work and need to check e-mail.....whistling.......

TH
trouthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hammer - I hope you are not using those bitsy tubes at spinney.... I think they are salt/scent impregnated.

Sportsman's has a whole wall of the freshwater basics tubes that work good, and they are cheap too.

I was on the dam fishing those one day and was casting, letting it sink all the way, slowly jigging it back in. Then on one retrieve I basically speed reeled that sucker in and it got pounded by a nice trout. I kept doing the faster straight retrieve and just hammered them. You have to experiment.

Tim
tim-cos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in