Zebra Mussels Here to Help? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Zebra Mussels Here to Help?

This is an interesting take on these little critters (not sure if I agree- I just hope he's right):

Zebra Mussels - Pros and Cons by Gary Gray
Going back about 8 yrs ago, when I was first at Lake Erie, I heard how the Zebra mussel was going to be such a hazard and no one wanted them in their lakes. Well, this is only my observation, and mot a study, just common sense theory.

About 2 years later, I then heard how the Zebra mussel was now a major factor in the reproduction of walleyes in lake Erie. this was due to the fact of how the mussel filled in all the spaces between the larger boulders on the reefs to turn them into a large gravely like flat, which in turn, provided a perfect spawning area. How much better can this get.
Well, then I heard the excretion from the mussels, also provided a food source for the walleye fry. Well, I now look at the walleye population in Lake Erie, and can only say, It Has Been Booming!!!

I live near Lake Winnebago, which is an inland Lake, and has water flow to the Great Lakes. We all know that the Great Lakes are full of Zebra Mussels, and somehow, make their way around. Zebra mussels have now been reported in Lake Winnebago, and the DNR here are worried about them. I say, let them be, look at what it has done for Lake Erie. These little mussels can and will filter the water with the best cleaning method possible. If they can turn Lake Erie into a clean looking lake, just imagine what they could do elsewhere. The DNR at lake Erie, claim the zebra mussel will filter the entire eastern basin of lake Erie within 3-5 days, unbelievable!!! With all this goodness coming from such a small creature, why all the worry?

Here are the only Con's, which create the worries and concerns of local DNR.
1. They will plug up water intakes.( this will create a job for someone)
2. They will clean up the water so much, that weeds will grow.( Great, then the fish will have habitat, fishing can only improve)
3. They will destroy freshwater clams,( no one clams anymore, and in most cases, clams weren't present anyway)

For every Con, there is a Pro, so we might as well accept these little creatures, use them for their goodness, and learn something from this godsend, they are only here to CLEAN UP what we have polluted. Let's let them do their job!!

Just My Thought,
Gary Gray

http://www.walleyecentral.com/articles/?a=44
fishaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Zebra Mussels Here to Help?

I've never known much about them aside from they filter water like crazy and I always thought that would be a good thing. I still don't see what the big fuss is.
odaon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey man, I love Lake Winnebago. I worked in Appleton twice for 4 month stretches. Those are some of the nicest folks in the world. I had a ball in that area. I stayed on the State park on the east side with the little golf course on it. Super good deal and all the golf I could play!! I still have very close friends in that are because of working with them.

I fished all over while I was there. Great part of the country.

As far as Zebras being somewhat good, that is an interesting perspective. I guess time will tell. I dont know enough to have a position.
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

The zebra mussels and guagga mussels cannot be a help to lakes like Granby and Grand Lake. Of that I can assure you. Will they turn out to be as bad as feared there? We don't know yet.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hey Don,

I just saw your 'new' postscript. I like it!

Take care,
_Colorado
Old 11-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

You're my kinda guy! LOL

Old 11-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofindyourowndamnfish
You're my kinda guy! LOL
Poor guy

Maynard G Krebs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

I witnessed this back east its really not the nightmare they call it.

Sidnote? What is the zebra mussles reaction to voltage? If they were to lighlty electrify the intake lines for these water intakes would the mussel still attach? Running current with sacrificial anodes to reduce corosion would seem a viable solution to me?

daiwafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Very interesting idea Diawa...That should be looked into if has not been already.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofindyourowndamnfish
The zebra mussels and guagga mussels cannot be a help to lakes like Granby and Grand Lake. Of that I can assure you. Will they turn out to be as bad as feared there? We don't know yet.
How can you assure us of that?
don broeren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in