how long would you keep tackle? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default how long would you keep tackle?

i have a lot of fishing rods, reels, tackle etc. its been 6 years since i have used any of my spinning gear and related tackle. i know technology changes and things evolve.

if you had a bunch of gear sitting around would you sell it or hang on to it?
i doubt i could get anything for it that would even come close to what i spent to buy it all new, but wouldn't it be better to sell it, get what you can and then when the time comes when you need it again go out and buy what is new?

curious on people's opinion.
YMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: how long would you keep tackle?

I think you should give it to me...No sense letting it lie around gathering dust...And it feels so good to give things away...
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

The bigger my collection.........and the more options I have..........the happier I am.
mogul buster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
OG LOKE

Yea...if it's outdated...sell it and upgrade.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Luckily I dont have this problem, I have a kid who is as tough on equipment as I am... so I am always replacing rods and reels. Plus he has friends and some of them never fished before, lost one reel to one kid stepping on it, there's no end.

But if it was stuff I knew I'd never use again I'd sell it, I sell stuff here and there that I havent used in a couple years or so... Last was a 6" ice auger better to let someone else have it that will use it.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you KNOW you are not going to use it, get rid of it. However, if it caught fish for you 6 years ago, chances are it will still catch fish for you today.
pikester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 12:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well alot of older stuff is almost better, alot more care was taken in the manufacturing. For example way back in the day Cabela's used to have their rods made by Loomis, so those are worth a bit of money and are very good performers as well. If you paid alot of money for them a while ago, they might be worth even more now. Never know....
Old 11-14-2008, 01:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thom,

If you go to Big Mac in Nebraska...the ranger station there has loaner rods reels and tackle for kids and people to use that show up and borrow if they dont have fishing tackle...gives people a chance to fish that dont have gear and lots of people get use of it...the last time I was through there I dropped off a bunch...they were most appreciative...just an idea...
Old 11-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
P I K E

AA... One idea would be to donate it(rods and reels). I collect said equip. for the Montana PikeMasters Club and they use it to give to kids that are needy and also for an organization called Camp Make A Dream, it is a camp for kids with cancer. The club goes through and repairs the equip. if needed then hands it out. Here are some links to the club and camp if you would be interested! This also goes to anybody else that would like to donate, a few great members here have already sent stuff up with me!!! Thank you guys!!!
http://www.pikemasters.com/kids/kids.html

http://www.campdream.org/aboutus.htm
Old 11-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Wait for someone on the forum to lose a tackle box or have their stuff stolen. I had all my fishing gear stolen a while ago and some people on the forum sent me some stuff. It was a great feeling. I literally had NOTHING when it came to fishing because they got all of it. I was happy to get anything.......I wouldn't have cared if it was old or used.

This tends to happen to a couple people a year on this forum it seems....

If I had some old gear or gear I didn't use a lot, that's what I would do. Pay it forward.
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in