Favorite Crawler Harness - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Favorite Crawler Harness

I was wondering what crawler harnesses or spinner rigs everyone likes to catch walleye or even trout around the metro area (especially Aurora, Cherry Creek, Chatfield, or similar lakes)? What colors/blade shapes/styles does everyone prefer? It will be fun to see if there is a popular favorite or not! I like Northbend's harness with the gold Colorado blade. What type of line does everyone like as a mainline and leader material too?
kayakdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Favorite Crawler Harness

Favorite brand is my own tied with XL 6# and Matzuo sickle hooks. For blades I always use Colorado, but I vary color and size a lot.
GrnMtn Eye Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

homemade are my favorite ,various colors and sizes

Old 11-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Mayor

I make my own too
Old 11-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't make my own, but I use various colors & sizes
coloradonative is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

I agree with the homemade, although I am lucky, when my Dad makes them he makes dozens, so I end up with his.
For blades I have always liked Colorados best. There is literally hundreds of colors but I have the general four I am usually able to get by with:
Chartruese
Hammered silver
Hammered copper
Firetiger.
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Is there a rule of thumb for snell length? Longer for when fish are up off the bottom, and shorter for fish hugging the bottom? Longer for rip rap or bottom structure, shorter for flat bottom? Longer for clear water, shorter for stained? How long is too long? I'm kind of a novice when it comes to riggin for eyes. I've done it some, but not enough to go through the above scenarios to see what works best.
Rip Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip lip
Is there a rule of thumb for snell length? Longer for when fish are up off the bottom, and shorter for fish hugging the bottom? Longer for rip rap or bottom structure, shorter for flat bottom? Longer for clear water, shorter for stained? How long is too long? I'm kind of a novice when it comes to riggin for eyes. I've done it some, but not enough to go through the above scenarios to see what works best.
I think it easiest to tie them all the same length about 20" then add or change weight style/placement as needed. You definitely have the right idea for where you want to be with them.

I have fished with harnesses or even lindy rigs up about 6 feet behind the weight after that it gets pretty tough to land the fish, unless you have a long handled net.

We just got to plan a trip to get you up to some eye country, and take care of that novice part!
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

I use longer harnesses in most cases. I make a couple dozen or so at a time and make them 5-6' long - you can always shorten them later with a quick snip. I don't usually shorten them unless I'm fishing really stained water or if the snags are getting to be too much. Keep in mind that the size and style of blade as well as your speed affect the way a harness pulls just as much as snell length does, so you can get a harness down tight even if it's long by using a larger blade and slowing down, etc. Bead selection (number, style and size) can also affect how a harness pulls.

I'd suggest using a lighter line for the harnesses than your reel has so if you snag a hook, only the harness breaks off and not the bottom bouncer. It can be a little tricky to land when alone, but I seem to usually have someone else on board if I'm pulling harnesses or the net is always nearby if I'm alone.
GrnMtn Eye Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Fishing from a float tube.

5-6 foot 8# test leader, with nickel-plated, Colorado blades, sizes 2-5, usually with ruby beads. Leader tied directly to my braided mainline. #8 octopus hook with smaller stinger.
dropshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in