Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Losing fish on jig spoons. Is it me or is it common?

2K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  fishinlooney 
#1 ·
I have had problems landing fish on spoons. I lost a jumbo smallie and spot this year ( along with others ) and it makes me crazy :'( I am using a MH rod, Quantum 6.2 baitcaster, 12lb big game, and a 1/2 oz spoon with upgraded gamakatsu treble. What is my malfunction? I was thinking its the same problem as crankbaits. The fish has that piece of loose metal to shake around.

#2 ·
I can't say for sure with out watching you...But, a lot of times you don't feel the hit until the lift...Oftentimes you only feel a bit of weight...Any weight at all...Drive it home with a hookset..If you just start reeling...You never set the hook...On a controlled drop...Any weightlessness ...Drive it home with a hookset...You may be setting the hook on nothing...But better to give the set than lose the fish...Just a thought...

#4 ·
For some reason, I think I do better with jigging spoons if I remove the treble hook and replace it with a needle sharp and slightly oversized siwash style hook, or even a spinnerbait trailer hook. Not sure why, but I seem to miss and lose fewer fish.

#6 ·
I agree - changing to a single hook makes the hookset a little easier, and less likely to have a fish try to inhale a treble - can be a pain in the arse to try to get all three tines out of a fish's mouth, and usually end up with one in your thumb!

The newer Krocodiles are being shipped with a single Aberdeen hook in the package, in addition to the treble, just like the Swedish Pimples. Dick Nite spoons only come with a single hook. (Maybe they've already figured this out!)

#11 ·
fish fetish said:
Actually, I was thinking a line w/less stretch like a braid might help your problem, especially when jigging deeper water.
Braid will deffintely help you feel the bites better, but from my experience, quite a bit of give really helps. If the fish immediately feels resistance, they are more likely to spit the hook. If they hit the spoon and it has a bit of give and is a more natural feel, you have a better chance at a solid hook set. JMO

#13 ·
I grew up bass fishing and my hook set is wicked >:D I also reel like hell. I think the single hook idea is a interesting and maybe upsize the treble might be interesting. I just started jig spooning last fall so it may be a learning curve issue also. Greta response people. Thanks.

This article got me interested in the method. Great read.

http://heartlandtackleservice.com/spooning.stm

#15 ·
My thought on using braid is that yes, you will feel every tick & bump, giving your brain the instant message to set the hook! Might give you that extra-nano second BEFORE the fish spits the hook (again, especially in deeper water). Secondly, I think less stretch in the line would give the fish less of an opportunity to toss the hook, if your drag is set correctly, even if the fish is lightly hooked you should`nt have a problem. I would also like to say that when using this particular technique, most of the fish I have hooked have been on the drop, or right off the bottom on the lift, I don`t think these fish can actually feel much resistance at all. The siwash hook intrigues me- you will probably snag less (when jigging bottom. or structure)- I would like to see a comparison done between trebles & a single hook. In fall or winter when fish are just nipping at them- would a smaller treble actually be better? A siwash will do less damage if you are planning on releasing them for sure.

#17 ·
McFish-Replace the hooks with the cheaper bronze type that will bend-you'll get alot more spoons back that way. Also, go with a braid like powerpro in 30 lb or even heavier-that will slow the fall of the spoon on the drop and may actually get you more bites and with no stretch you'll get a better hookset. Hope this helps.

And really-losing spoons is just part of the deal-I jig right on the bottom and the rocks will claim at least a few.

#19 ·
I like Braid

Everyones reflex if differant, I use braid with a short Fluro leader.
I like a really stiff rod thats about 6'6" long.
WalleyeSeeker uses a short stiff rod and Mono. Our catch rate is pretty close.
When do you lose the fish? on the hit or bringing them up?

#20 ·
I lose the fish near the surface. It seems like 1 in 5 I lose, maybe not that bad but it feels like it.. As far spoons are concerned if I leave them on the bottom that just part of the game! I have a 50 lb power pro for frogin maybe I ll give it a try.

#21 ·
Losing fish near the surface happens to all of us-I bet I lose 1 in 5 too. The water is cold and I've always figured those lost fish never really took the spoon too well anyway-when they get on top and flop around, they're gone.

I would recommend the Rapala jigging minnow-its cylindrical and has a single hook on each end with a treble in the middle-I get a better hooked to landed ratio with these than anything. Downside is they cost $6 a piece and it harts to lose a few on an outing.

#22 ·
One thing that I have found that works. I use 10-14 pound fireline tied to a barrell swivel. Then about 20 inches of flourcarbon tied to a snap. The barrel swivel takes out the twist, the fireline gives you strenght on the hook set and the flourocarbon is invisable. The snap allows the spoon to flutter freely.

Also, if you get hung up, the flourocarbon is much easier to break than the fireline. I too have tried the large swish hook. But I have had more hook ups with a Gamu red treble. I carry a couple different rods in the boat to spoon with. A day of spooning takes a toll on your arm. A shorter rod lenght and butt lenght can make a different. I prefer a bait caster to a spin rod. But a spinning rod makes a better spoon rod when fishing with 1/4 ounce spoons or less (-20 fow).

One other thing is to cast your spoon and jerk/yank it across the bottom. I know it is hard to do along the cliffs at Pueblo but at Aurora or Chatfield where there are not many hang/up (spoon eaters) its works well. I have never tried it, but I like the idea of using 30 pound mono for free fall spooning. The higher the diamater of the line, the slower the fall. Makes sense.

If you use a single hook, do you ever tip it with a minnow head?

#24 ·
Mcfish, I lose fish at the surface and during the fight too. A couple of tricks I've had luck with is pinching the barb down about half way on my trebles (allowing for more solid hookset) and sharpening the hooks (especially after dragging them across the bottom for a while). It's amazing how quickly they can get dull after banging on the rocks. These tricks work really good after you've lost a couple, try these and see if your landing ratio goes up. Good luck. Looney

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.