Trolling reels - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trolling reels

Does anyone have a favorite Trolling reel that they prefer? What makes it better than the other? What is the best line (leaded vs. unleaded vs. braided vs mono) that you like for trolling? I am a horrible troller and would love to get better. I figure the only way to do so is ask the experts and go do it?
hookncook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Trolling reels

line counters are a must in my book, i have okuma and diawa. 2 rigged with lead core, 2 with 30lb fire line, 4 with mono. i also use 2 spinning reels on my downriggers, and 2 on my lindy rig rods
Old 01-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

It all depends on what your fishing for, where and when. IMO there is no perfect forumla for all seasons and all species. I have some cheap reels and some expensive ones, some w/ lead, some w/ mono and some w/ braid.
What makes one better than another would be quality components, stay away from plastic parts if you can afford it. Probably the best cheapest trolling reel would be Diawa Accudepth, and secondly a Penn 209.

Both run around $60

Old 01-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Mayor

I also run Diawa (great lakes series) with line counters, and have a couple Okuma. I use braided line and have a couple rigged with lead core.

Line counter are for sure a must.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

My opinion.
Top of the line at the Takotas, tied for second are Daiwa SeaLine LC series (they make 3 sizes) and the Abu LC's (2 or 3 sizes). All others bring up the rear on quality. Depends on what you want to spend and what you intend to use them for. Also depends on how much trolling will be your primary technique.

Cheap line counters have cheap components, plastic gears, cardboard or plastic washers in the drag...get what you pay for.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

That's good to know. I honestly wouldn't have even thought about the plastic parts. I will mainly use trolling for eyes and stripers/wipers I believe.
hookncook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

DEfinitely reccomend a line counter, I use Okuma's and have had good luck with them. The counter is necessary to re-create a situation over and over. Plus after a few trips you will start to learn what depths your lures run at any gien amount of line out. I highly recommend using braid for any hard mouthed fish, the braid does not stretch giving you better hooksets. The thin diameter also gives you better diving ability with your lures. 20lb braid is comparable to 8lb mono in diameter

I did a few experiments this summer testing line stretch. 12lb mono at 125feet stretched 4 feet, 10 stretched over 5'. I get alot higher landing ratio using braid with a flouro leader.
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have two of the Diawa Sealine reels and like them alot. I am sure the Takotas are probably worth the money? But I have never fished with one.
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

i use a diawa sealine 17 lca with mono. and a penn 9 with lead core. (don't really need a line counter when using lead) the penn 9 will hold 4-5 colors of lead backed with plenty of heavy mono.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah line counters are good for certain things, you don't always need them though. The Tekota's are the best I've used(I have 5 now - I've been upgrading). Penn 209 and 309's are good reels (I have 3 or 4), the Diawa Sealine is pretty good, Accudepth not as good. My Abu Line Counters (have 2) easily fog the view finder and sometimes the line counter doesn't want to catch and start counting - they have smoother drag than the Penns though. I have used some of the Okuma's models and Cabelas trolling reels (which I think the are made by Okuma) I wasn't as impressed.
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in