bait for spring channel cats - Page 4 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #31 (permalink)

Default Re: bait for spring channel cats

I fish Navajo in May and June mostly for crappie but I spend sometime looking for cats. Have had success with nightcrawlers. so far thirteen pounds is my largest.First trip there will be May 2nd.
trotline jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #32 (permalink)

Sucker meat.
slayerfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #33 (permalink)

I always try to use whatever bait is natural to the lake. At Lake Mac Creek Chubs enter into the north platte river through small streams (? Creeks). This time of the year all of the creeks and streams are running at full capacity and this is when all of the minnows enter into the main lake. There is nothing better to use at this time of year.
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngfatboy
You all are thinking way to hard on this....fish with whatever the natural forage in the lake is, especialy in the sping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish
I always try to use whatever bait is natural to the lake. At Lake Mac Creek Chubs enter into the north platte river through small streams (? Creeks). This time of the year all of the creeks and streams are running at full capacity and this is when all of the minnows enter into the main lake. There is nothing better to use at this time of year.
I agree to a point.............I've had several catfish trips where I'd fish bluegill or crawdads from the same water on one rod.........and get no bites. Meanwhile......all hell is breaking loose on my other rod that has bird guts on it (chicken liver).......go figure.
mogul buster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #35 (permalink)

small children

ICE FISHING KICKS A$$!

Beer, Bait & Ammo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #36 (permalink)

from what I notice typically, if you want numbers of smaller cats... the prepared baits, livers, crawlers and leeches work well.

The bigger ones stray away from that, if you use cutbait or live bait like crawdads, or forage fish... you will get alot slower action, but the hits you will receive will be from much bigger fish.
LAKESTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote from: ngfatboy on February 01, 2009, 02:36:00 pm
You all are thinking way to hard on this....fish with whatever the natural forage in the lake is, especialy in the sping.

Quote from: catfish on February 03, 2009, 07:39:19 pm

I agree to a point.............I've had several catfish trips where I'd fish bluegill or crawdads from the same water on one rod.........and get no bites. Meanwhile......all hell is breaking loose on my other rod that has bird guts on it (chicken liver).......go figure

Yes very true... But blugills and creek chubs are very different. As far as I know the panfish stay in the main body of the reservoir, on the other hand the creek chub lives most of its life in the streams. At this time of year chubs are a treat for the larger species.

All in all I would rather use shrimp then anything!

catfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in