Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Fishing Lounge (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   bait for spring channel cats (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37813)

durangofish 01-30-2009 09:46 AM

bait for spring channel cats

I am just wondering what everyone thin ks would be a good bet for bait for channel cats in the spring. My location will be where the los pinos river enters navajo lake just across the new mexico border.

denverbassman 01-30-2009 09:53 AM

Re: bait for spring channel cats

Quote:

Originally Posted by durangofish
I am just wondering what everyone thin ks would be a good bet for bait for channel cats in the spring. My location will be where the los pinos river enters navajo lake just across the new mexico border.

cant go wrong with fresh liver, cut shad,blue gill, trout guts, etc,etc!

SoleSearcher34 01-30-2009 09:54 AM

My suggestions would be, anchovies, smelt or if you can get big threadfin shad just fillet it and cut them into 1"x4-6" strips.....that is $$$$ bait right there. Wouldn't mess with stinkbaits/doughbaits until it is really hot outside(even then usually produces more small fish)
If it is legal there, live palm-size bluegills are killer for big channel cats(10# and up)

fishnphil 01-30-2009 09:58 AM

Chicken liver has always been one of my my favorites. #1 favorite is whole bluegills in states that allow it, like Texas.

If I was going to fish for a big one out here, I'd probably get a 6" sucker, cut it's belly open and hang it off a hook, or hooks.

denverbassman 01-30-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishnPhil
Chicken liver has always been one of my my favorites. #1 favorite is whole bluegills in states that allow it, like Texas.

If I was going to fish for a big one out here, I'd probably get a 6" sucker, cut it's belly open and hang it off a hook, or hooks.

u can use gills out here, not sure about nm, gills out here are a mid summmer big bass bait!

fishnphil 01-30-2009 10:01 AM

Oooooo I didn't know you could use gills here...thanks!

SoleSearcher34 01-30-2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishnPhil
#1 favorite is whole bluegills in states that allow it, like Texas.

I love being able to use big, live finbaits here on the east slope. I think the mistake people often make is using a little baby gill when they should be using one a good 5 or 6inches or better for the big cats. Big kitties want a bratwurst not a cocktail weenie ;)

walleye seeker 01-30-2009 10:04 AM

i feel that cut bait is best. cut a filet of shad,carp,or sucker into strips 4-6 inchs long and 1-2 inchs wide. put your hook in one end from the meat side all the way through and up on your leader then go about half way down and run your hook from the skin side into the meat and make sure you dont have a scale on the point of the hook. you need lots of bait so you can change every 15-20 min.

fishlip 01-30-2009 10:04 AM

The best spring bait I know of are leeches. Metabolisms aren't up that early in the year, so large offerings may be ignored. Cats have a hard time resisting a helpless leech. We catch a lot of cats fishing for eyes in the spring on 1/4oz. jigheads and a leech.

rivrunnr1 01-30-2009 10:07 AM

How would you guys recommend fishing a live gill in the summer? At the bottom, under a bobber? Slip bobber?