Walleye Rods - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Walleye Rods

Hello everyone. This spring, I plan on investing in a couple good walleye rods. I want on for slow trolling harnesses, and one for jigging. What should I look for in these types of rods?
kayakdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Walleye Rods

I'm no troller so I'll let others address that, but jigging is something we do a ton of. I like a medium power, extra fast action rod about 6'6". We use medium light as well, depending on the jig size/water depth. The extra fast action makes the rod accurate and more importantly, very sensitive. A St Croix Avid would be a great choice. Made in America, lifetime warranty, very light and sensitive without spending a complete fortune. A St Croix Legend Tournament series would be lighter, faster and more sensitive...but more money.

Life's too short to fish with poor tackle! CL
Old 02-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

i like the St. Croix® Triumph® Series Casting Rod in 8'6" med heavy fast action model #TRC86MHFZ for trolling harnesses and jigging

Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am partial to some of the Cabelas Spinning Rods; The IM-7 or IM - 6's in 7 ft. 2 pc. are not too expensive, light, sensitive, tough. They also have Cabelas gaurantee when you purchase. In the $40-$60 range.

Not to much of a troller, usually use an 8ft Eagle Claw my father-in law gave me years ago.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have a couple St Croix Premier 6'6" MF rods that I use for lindy rigging and love them. They are 10x better that the Berkley Cherrywood rod I was using before. I can't believe all the bites I couldn't feel before.

I know there a couple guys in Pueblo that use light or ultralight graphite salmon rods for lindy rigging. (They are really long - like 9 feet)

Has anyone here used an inshore rod for trolling ? It seems they would have the backbone necessary for heavy bottom bouncers, leadcore, or planer boards but with a fast tip would have the sensitivity you need.

Crk
Old 02-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

While i dont fish from a boat often for walleyes, i do fish at night from the shore a lot with jigs and soft plastics....and i also favor the St Croixs...mainly the Avids, which i own a few. Fairly fast action, with enough backbone and sensitivity to work jigs in deeper water. My favorite walleye rod, bar none, is the G Loomis GL3....8-12 lb line 7 ft model. Its seems i can outfish any of my other rods with this for some reason. Its a fast rod, but is sensitive enough to feel even the most subtle takes...rigged with 30 lb braid and a good reel it pretty much fishes by itself.

For vertical jigging from a boat? I am guessing something light, with a fast action but slightly softer tip...im no expert in that department though, so you will have to see what other guys suggest.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

slow trolling with harnesses, bottom rigs etc. i always liked a 7' M spinning. i found a strong but forgiving long rod for the slow troll on the bottom allowed me to keep the rod in my hand and adjust when the hit came and then a nice steady sweeping hook set. a 7' Medium with a long cork handle was perfect. plus it could go into the rod holder quickly if needed. i also used this type of rod for slip bobber drifting for the same reasons. never liked a casting rod/reel for this type of slow trolling or drifting.

for jigging, i always liked a 6' 6" M. its a perfect rod for verticle jigging or even wind drift jigging. good backbone for a hook set but forgiving if using fireline or a heavy jog.

take you pick on the brand

ah, the good old days of walleye fishing from my boat!
YMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Mayor

Falcon makes some good jiggin rods, 6' M or MH, pretty fast action and great feel, Some of the Diawa rods ain't bad for the money, same setup.

You shoud check out the last trolling rod thread for info on rods and reels, it was pretty good. Theres a bunch of good walleye fisherepeeps on here. They wont give you GPS coords, but will help with your gear.

BHR
Old 02-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

For jigging I use a 6'3" medium power, extra fast action spinning rod with either 6# braid or 6# floro.

For trolling bottom bouncers I use a 7' medium power, moderate action baitcast rod with 10# mono.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Price range always helps

Just like anything you can spend $20-$600
boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in