Split shot and flies - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2005, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Split shot and flies

I have been using spit shot and flies (wooly buggers, pistol petes, ect) to no avail. How far from the fly do you attach the splitshot......closest thing Ill get to fly fishing till I can rake up enough money to buy a flyrod.

Thanks
Pondfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2005, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Split shot and flies

I have used split shot with flies extensively this summer (with fly rod) but I'm sure it would be the same with spinning gear.

I would typically attach the split shot anywhere from 4-12" above the fly depending on the depth and current speed. As far as I have been able to tell, the fish don't seem to care how far the shot is away from the fly...they seem to ignore it and go for the fly. I suppose that there is so much stuff floating with the current that fish ignore anything that doesn't look like food.
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

i wouldnt use a split shot, ive caught them w/an open face reel using a plastic bubble. theyre .38cents for 2 at walmart.

fill it half w/water, use at least 6' of line from bubble to fly

hope this helps. have fun
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2005, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scody357
i wouldnt use a split shot, ive caught them w/an open face reel using a plastic bubble. theyre .38cents for 2 at walmart.

hope this helps. have fun
Iv'e used those too, and never get snagged. Bust em up on rocks alot though. Sometimes I'll put a small split on to lower the fly a little. If the waters running too high and hard for the bubble I'll use some tube weight ( less likely to get wedged in between rocks) with a two to 4 foot leader and bounce it off the bottom throwiing up steam.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

I put small split shot about 1 -2 feet above a fly/lure (they're called Joe's flys {also from Wallyworld}). It's a fly w/ a small blade spinner and a trailing treble hook. They're deadly!* * I've caught Trout, Perch, Bluegill, and small Bass on them.
When using a bubble, I tie my leader just a few inches shorter than the rod I'm using.
Oh, and Pondfisher. You didn't say what you're fising for, but I've been having luck latley (on Bluegill and small Bass) using tiny poppers and small hoppers. Use a bubble to cast. Have you tried the smaller Pistol Petes ?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
3109elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scody357

hope this helps.* have fun
I use the same,a plastic bubble4'-6'of line,put a pistol petes[olive green,small blade] royal coach man,joes fly,sometimes a super dupper502.had some good luck with it.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2005, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Anyone ever heard of deer hair bobbers? They are bobbers made out of deer hair. Highly bouyant!
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2005, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the input!!! I have been using Rainbow plastics bubble which allows you to fish flys for some time. I have had lots of luck with it in ponds and such but I have never caught a fish off a fly and bubble on moving bodies of water i.e. streams and rivers.

Again thanks for the info...gonna fish woolybuggers and split shot and try to coax some browns in the St. Vrain river to bite

Pondfisher
Pondfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2005, 11:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

i've had the same experience with bubbles as pondfisher as far as they are great for a lake or pond, but for nymphs in moving water, i say run your split shot about one foot above a nymph and use enough weight that you are feeling the bottom. i use bb's so that if i'm hanging up a little, use one less, if i don't feel bottom, try one more........
i caught several whitefish this weekend fishing nymphs on spingear. very fun.
john the fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in