My first baitcaster! - Colorado Fishing Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rivrunnr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,554
Default My first baitcaster!

I just bought a nice baitcaster and a real nice rod too. I should be getting the rod on wednesday but I just opened the reel. VERY exciting. I have never used a baitcaster before....but I am sure it will go alright. I am gonna go cast it right now. Lemme know if any of you have any suggestions on use and differences between them and spinning reels that I should definitely be aware of.

Here are some pics.





Citica 200E. I already loaded it with 20lb powerpro
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,731
Default Re: My first baitcaster!

Good luck, I'm havin a hell of a time gettin mine down, use it mostly for slabbin. I bet I've changed the line 4 times cause of screw ups, and the rod n reel are both still virgin.
colonative is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rivrunnr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,554
Default Re: My first baitcaster!

Holy crap that was hard!!! Just took a few casts with it. I dunno if I should keep the cast control knob real tight or real loose....
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,192
Default Re: My first baitcaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrunnr1
Holy crap that was hard!!! Just took a few casts with it. I dunno if I should keep the cast control knob real tight or real loose....
I would say tighter when starting....

Also adjust the internal brakes like I told ya
__________________
Please please release big pike and tiger muskie (over 30")
Don't grumpie (FXR) da bass either! Especially before the spawn
C&R Fisherman
boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,014
Send a message via Yahoo to fishingkats
Default Re: My first baitcaster!

thats way to much string to learn with

but thats just what i think
__________________
we need more water for our lakes
fishingkats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
deadhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 207
Default Re: My first baitcaster!

Couple-a things to keep in mind, as far as the tension knob, hang your lure, (or casting plug) from the tip, and adjust the tension until the lure will BARELY not fall under it's own weight. (the setting will be different for every lure) As you cast, start with the brake control maxed out, and use your thumb on the top of the spool to keep it from "backlashing". It will take getting used to, but the more you throw it, the looser you can set the braking system, and your distance will improve. Remember, that with a spinner, you stop the rod pointed in the direction of the lure, and the line free spools off the top of the spool, but with a baitcaster, you stop more around twelve o'clock, and let the spool unroll instead. Those are the biggest tips I got when I got my first one, use your "thumb brake", and stop your cast sooner.

Also, bring some toothpicks with you, they help a lot to pick out those pesky bakclashes without destroying your line, so you won't have to respool every other trip. Let me know if you want some practical, hans-on coaching, and we can go fish somewhere, and I will show you what I know...

Dave
__________________
You can teach a man to fish, and he will eat for a day.

But, if you teach a man to fish, he'll always be late for supper...
deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,407
Default Re: My first baitcaster!

Dont' wait dude. Put it on your ice rods...
__________________
slimer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rivrunnr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,554
Default Re: My first baitcaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead
Couple-a things to keep in mind, as far as the tension knob, hang your lure, (or casting plug) from the tip, and adjust the tension until the lure will BARELY not fall under it's own weight. (the setting will be different for every lure) As you cast, start with the brake control maxed out, and use your thumb on the top of the spool to keep it from "backlashing". It will take getting used to, but the more you throw it, the looser you can set the braking system, and your distance will improve. Remember, that with a spinner, you stop the rod pointed in the direction of the lure, and the line free spools off the top of the spool, but with a baitcaster, you stop more around twelve o'clock, and let the spool unroll instead. Those are the biggest tips I got when I got my first one, use your "thumb brake", and stop your cast sooner.

Also, bring some toothpicks with you, they help a lot to pick out those pesky bakclashes without destroying your line, so you won't have to respool every other trip. Let me know if you want some practical, hans-on coaching, and we can go fish somewhere, and I will show you what I know...

Dave
Excellent advice! Thank you. Ill have to keep practicing. I fish Pueblo hard starting in April...so lemme know when you are down to head out there.
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
fresh fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 433
Default Re: My first baitcaster!

Nice reel Riv! I've been on the fence between getting my first baitcasting set-up or another spin set-up. I looove spin fishing, but wouldn't mind adding another weapon to the arsenal!
Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your first P-lo wiper report on that thing!
__________________
Knowing what to do will get you started, knowing when to do it will get it done!
fresh fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
fistfullafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,271
Default Re: My first baitcaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshfish
I looove spin fishing, but wouldn't mind adding another weapon to the arsenal!
Without practice, baitcasters are not exactly a weapon, more like a handicap. Practice, practice, practice.
__________________
fistfullafish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baitcaster the limey Colorado Ice Fishing 2 02-08-2013 09:26 AM
Looking for a new baitcaster bgh12g Colorado Fishing Lounge 9 06-13-2008 11:58 AM
Baitcaster goodtimes Colorado Fishing Lounge 21 09-22-2006 08:03 AM
baitcaster fishinguitars Colorado Fishing Lounge 7 07-20-2005 09:13 AM

» Forum Search
» Insurance
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL3
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.