Rogue Question - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rogue Question

I am trying to work on fishing jerkbaits/hardbaits this upcoming year, as I figured out xraps last year and they treated me very well. I bought a bunch of rogues (Suspending, Rattling, Limited) in various sizes and colors, but I am not really sure how to fish them. I am assuming with the suspending versions, I could fish them like an xrap(jerk x times, then pause x counts) but I am not really sure on any of it. Does anybody have any pointers? Thanks
rickabilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Rogue Question

With all jerkbaits, sinking, suspending, floating, any of it, I vary my presentation. That's a great aspect of them, sometimes the fish don't want any jerks at all, sometimes they want all jerks and no pauses, and sometimes in between.

Floating ones, I like to give a couple of jerks and the pause length depends on how deep I'm fishing and the cover/weeds/etc around. If I can get away with it I like a short pause, just enough to allow the bait to back up a little, I get lots of hits on the back up motion (meaning..on the pause the bait will start to float up towards the surface, which actually gives the appearance of a fish backing up as it goes more shallow). I was just watching a show last weekend where they talked about this exact thing and how bass can't resist it sometimes. I agree and have used it with good effectiveness.

I love the clear water out here, you can watch you bait and play around with the action. For me, jerkbaits are all about presenting an injured fish, so I'll play with them a bit until I feel like I have an action that resembles something hurt.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

What phil said....don't be afraid to pause it for long periods of time with the suspending ones.
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

I start fast then slow down if the fish want me to? The Rogues and x-Raps are the way to go when the water is cold, but the Lucky Crafts come into their own as the water gets warmer.
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

With stickbaits fishing for walleye along a dam for example, I burn it and just reel as fast as I can.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Suspending Rouges are one of my all time favorite jerkbaits. Fish them the same way as others, but stay with long, very long pauses in between. Don't get carried away with really violent jerks either. Depending on your rod/reel/ line set up, a short, even sweep with the rod will move that bait very nicely.

The original floating Rouge makes an excellent twitch bait on the surface. I've caught 4 walleyes over 8 lbs. using this method.

Good luck, have fun.

Jeff
fishforall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Good advice all..............I too am wanting to work on my jerkbait techniques. I'd like to see Don "Walleye Jerkbait Master" Broeren give his 2 cents on this.
mogul buster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm working on an article on this very subject, should be done by March at the pace I'm going!
don broeren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Broeren
I'm working on an article on this very subject, should be done by March at the pace I'm going!
Sweet! Thanks!
mogul buster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Broeren
Terrific! We're finally going to learn where "the spot" is!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in