Baitcaster question - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Baitcaster question

I just bought a baitcaster rod and have been checking out reels to go along with the rod. I've got my heart set on the Shimano citica or curado, but my main question is this: Should I be getting a Right handed or Left handed reel. Originally I assumed I would get a LH since my spinning reels have all been reeled with my left (and cast with my right). But on just about every fishing program I have watched in the past 2 weeks, everyone has been reeling baitcasters with their right hand (even if they are using left handed spinning reels in the same show!!!). They seem to cast with their right hand, then grab the reel with their left and reel in with the right hand again. Since seeing this trend (I haven't seen ANYONE reel in a lefty baitcaster), I'm starting to question which one would be correct for me. Thanks for any input.
jefwinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Baitcaster question

Do whatever feels right.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

If I'm correct, you cannot switch the handle (as you can on spinning reels) from left to right. I'm nervous about laying down $150 and regretting the model I decided on. I guess I just don't understand why the pros would reel in a spinning reel as a lefty but reel in a baitcaster as a righty....and they ALL seem to do it like this. There must be a reason. The best thing for me may be to visit Bass Pro or Gander or something and just get a few in my hand to get the feel for it. But since I'm new to baitcasting, they all are going to feel awkward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey man, like was said do what feels right. I have LH retrieve, because I just cant justify losing a fish while switchin hands to reel. I feel I have more strength in my right arm so thats why I like to control the rod with it. ha ha ha, control the rod, ah humm
anyways, Ive tried baitcasters with right hand retrieve and I feel retarded controlling the rod with my left arm. But your correct, 99% of baitcater dudes use RH retrieve and I dont know why. You will eventually get used to it, as I have, from trolling reels and such.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Keep the rod in your dominant arm and reel with your left IMO. A lot of guys, especially those that learned casting gear a long time ago, still reel right handed as you noted on TV, but I feel I have better control with the rod in my right hand (I'm right handed). Plus your retrieves are the same with as with your spinning gear. Just my opinion! CL
Old 02-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would say stick with your LH retrieve. It is awkward trying to twitch the rod with your off hand, but eventually you will get used to it. The guys you see on the shows are Pro's.. they get paid to do what they do. And they do it well. More than likely they spent numerous hours/days/years honing their skills to reach the level they are at... for us the average rec fisherman... I would say stick with what works for you. You wont be disappointed if you go with what you know!

Even if you've been fishing for three hours and haven't gotten anything except poison ivy and sunburn, you're still better off than the worm.  ~Author Unknown
displacedfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys. What you're saying is basically what I've been leaning to all along, but watching the pros really made me think twice. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to make a mistake. Its not everyday I drop that kind of coin on a reel.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah but your goin to enjoy it so much more when you toss cranks, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits!
The effort (depending on retrieve speed) is minimal compared to a spinning setup!

Even if you've been fishing for three hours and haven't gotten anything except poison ivy and sunburn, you're still better off than the worm.  ~Author Unknown
displacedfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdraw
Do whatever feels right.
x2

play with both sides and go with what feels good to you.
i assume you are talking about the new citica and curado reels.......that choice depends on the ratio you want, the curado has a slow and a burner, the citica has a ratio inbetween. both are nice just depends on what you want.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Lefty for sure.............especially if you're used to it. I've always thought pro's were "less pro" when they had to switch hands after casting. If you were in a one handed sword fight..........which hand would you use to hold the sword? That hand should be holding your rod.............your weaker hand just has to go in a circle.
mogul buster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in