Spring Walleye jigging - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Spring Walleye jigging

So what does everyone use? Over the last three years I have kind of gotten stuck in my ways But it works for me. I am always interested to see what kinds of soft plastics everyone is using?

I fish mostly from shore from now till early summer and this is what I mostly use during the daylight. Then switch to Jerkbaits once it is dark. I pretty much snap jig everything even in cold water! I like to snap spoons especially if the water is cold. A 1/4 oz Kroc is perfect for that task. I use mostly 4 and 5 inch Power minnows and Power Jerk shads on 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz Darter heads. Haven't used the Gulp baits much. What do you guys think of them? I would guess they would be a better choice if you were fishing slow.

Both Smallmouth and big Trout like those baits also!

I have experimented some with Swimbaits also, but have had very little success with them on Walleye's But last fall Troy Colburn was fishing right next to me and was doing well with some kind of swimbait? Of course those fish were on a spree that night and crushing everything we threw. I have thrown the 5" Swim Shads they use all the time on InFisherman alot with almost no result

Look forward to seeing what everyone else has been experimenting with lately!
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Spring Walleye jigging

I wouldn't mind a lesson from ya some time Neal. I've used the 5" with succes on lakers, but seems I'm eye inept.
colonative is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here are a few random different baits. Some became walleye baits unintentionally while fishing for smallies, but walleyes like'em too. I guess I fish with more crankbait/jerkbaits really. Need to open up my soft plastic arsenal a little more as some are kinda plain,(ie. fuzze grub, mistertwister) but why change if they work?

Sorry for the fuzzy distortion

Lungbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungbuster
Here are a few random different baits. Some became walleye baits unintentionally while fishing for smallies, but walleyes like'em too. I guess I fish with more crankbait/jerkbaits really. Need to open up my soft plastic arsenal a little more as some are kinda plain,(ie. fuzze grub, mistertwister) but why change if they work?

Sorry for the fuzzy distortion

Another good bait for both bass and walleye is slow reeling a 4" Yamamota Grub on a 1/8 oz jig. Caught alot of fish over the years at Pueblo doing that.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

What about Gulp Alive?
Old 02-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Theres a Gulp! alive minnow in my pic(one with red finesse circle hook).
Sorry shoulda mentioned that. Ive had mixed results with them. Sometimes it seems fish really key in on them, other times, there no different than any other soft plastic.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungbuster
Theres a Gulp! alive minnow in my pic(one with red finesse circle hook).
Sorry shoulda mentioned that. Ive had mixed results with them. Sometimes it seems fish really key in on them, other times, there no different than any other soft plastic.
I would imagine the Gulp would be more important if you were trying to replace livebait?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

yea, Ive never fished minnows and gulp! side by side, but I guess if you didnt want the hassle with live minnows , gulp would be the next best.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

I seem to be pretty walleye inept, it has been years since I even coaxed one in to biting, but I did fish gulp minnnows side by side with my buddy using live minnows through the ice, and we went fish for fish. I think I might have even bested him in pure numbers, but his last fish of the day got mine by an inch giving him biggest for the day. Those were not even the gulp alive ones, just the gulp in the plastic bag off the wall. I am a huge fan of the gulp products, and almost always have one rigged on a 1/4 oz. jig head nearby. They are great for picking up lost bites.

dave

But, if you teach a man to fish, he'll always be late for supper...
deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey Neal, if you need some more of those ringworms lemme know... I have thousands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in